Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners club locked

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Diners club locked

@12njoy wrote:

@I was approved for 2 Diners Club cards @ $15,000 each.  My brother was approved for the Premier @ $15,000 at the same time.  He purchased visa gift cards about 3-4 weeks ago.  He's not sure if he has used the card since purchasing the visa gift cards ($1,500).  He paid the $1,500 off before the statement closed.  Well today he tried to use his card and it was declined. He called Diners and he was told that his account was under review.  I called Diners to check my two cards and they are fine.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My brother said Diners told him he would hear something in 3-4 days.  Hopefully, this is not another OCCU Duck craze after all Smiley Mad

obvious your brother never heard of MS> the fastest way to get your cards shut down. buying those danggit give cards. well. ooh well. wish him well. Diners is not the problem here. its the way you used the card. or your brother did. does not look good. guilty until proven innocent in this case. i think you should look up the term ms . or manufactured spending on google. to learn a little and tell your brother. the true issue.

Message 31 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@waiter wrote:

Irish80

There ARE some people , for them rewards and miles and things like that are like crack. They open and close accounts JUST for those things, and they keep doing this, over and over... *** i am not saying thats wrong ****and there are some who really really abuse these kind of things.I know citi and chase also closes your accounts if they suspect that.

It's all in the game though, right?

Message 32 of 92
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

Just for the record, my two cards are open and ready for use.  This was my brother's account which was locked.  I do MS on my Amex and have never had any issues whatsoever.  Now Amex is discontinuing the bonus on the PRG which will result in account closure before my next anniversay in July 2015.  I know based on the responses to this thread not to use my Diners club cards for this type of spending.

Nor did I till I did!   But yes, at least for now, Diners doesn't seem a good choice for MS.

Message 33 of 92
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Well I guess I won't be MS with mine!  Glad to know this info beforehand.  It's been about 28 days since I applied for the second card and still no response.  Kind of shady in my opinion, but it sounds like they underestimated the MyFico (and CB) effect.

Message 34 of 92
taxi818
Super Contributor

@elim wrote:

@Involver wrote:
Glad I didn't jump on this one. Sounds like a headache.

I think it's just MS thats getting to be a headache... bummer

Thats exactly right. the elite for sure is screaming to the msers. no cap on it either. so . you must walk lightly. really for those that have 2 cards as well. i just used my card for the first time tonight. at dilliards. bought a nice fancy wallet to carry it in. no issue what so ever. smooth as butter. but i dont have a second card to raise red flags and i dont buy 500 dollar gift cards. good luck to op.

Message 35 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@waiter wrote:

Irish80

There ARE some people , for them rewards and miles and things like that are like crack. They open and close accounts JUST for those things, and they keep doing this, over and over... *** i am not saying thats wrong ****and there are some who really really abuse these kind of things.I know citi and chase also closes your accounts if they suspect that.

Yeah, I'm seeing that.  Joined last month and have learned a lot in very short time.  I had no idea about MS and churning, etc

Right, and I am one such person.   But the amounts being talked about (like $1500) are WAY below other issuers thesholds for MS concerns, and the Premier reward structure isn't a risk for the issuer anyway.   So I would suspect at least some of it is that they are unprepared for the sheer volume.   Didn't OCCU also come up with bogus reasons for freezing cards while they got their house in order?

So if I had the card, I would agree with baller4life, minimal to no use till things get clearer.  Hopefully, soon!

I know you are.  It was one of your threads where I first read about MS and I'm certainly not making any judgments.  I definitely agree with you about them being overwhelmed from the unexpected volume.  You can tell that from the length of approvals and them having to shut down applications.  I think they panicked and are overreacting in most of these cases. But if it happens to me I don't care what their reasons are. I know I'm not doing anything wrong and if I get denied while buying groceries or paying for dinner I'm going to be one unhappy camper. I don't 'need' the card and at my age I'm too old to put up looking like an idiot in front of a 20 year clerk or waitress because my card was denied..  End of rant.

Message 36 of 92
12njoy
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@12njoy wrote:

@I was approved for 2 Diners Club cards @ $15,000 each.  My brother was approved for the Premier @ $15,000 at the same time.  He purchased visa gift cards about 3-4 weeks ago.  He's not sure if he has used the card since purchasing the visa gift cards ($1,500).  He paid the $1,500 off before the statement closed.  Well today he tried to use his card and it was declined. He called Diners and he was told that his account was under review.  I called Diners to check my two cards and they are fine.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My brother said Diners told him he would hear something in 3-4 days.  Hopefully, this is not another OCCU Duck craze after all Smiley Mad

obvious your brother never heard of MS> the fastest way to get your cards shut down. buying those danggit give cards. well. ooh well. wish him well. Diners is not the problem here. its the way you used the card. or your brother did. does not look good. guilty until proven innocent in this case. i think you should look up the term ms . or manufactured spending on google. to learn a little and tell your brother. the true issue.

I'm well aware of MS.  I have used it to the tune of 30k with Amex PRG this year alone.  No issue from Amex for me.  It's likely dependent upon each creditor, not the user.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 37 of 92
taxi818
Super Contributor

okay. so i agree. they are panicking learning the hard way what a good mser can do. its like buying money orders and avoiding the cash advance fee. so i can see it from their standpoint. if they suspect it. but what most forget. is they don't need a reason at all to shut you down. they can say the wind blew west so we shut you down. so don't panic people. several other good citizens have used their cards no problem. high volume too. its just the appearance of ms that the bank is scared of apparently. out of all the approvals on this forum. think about it. this is only the 3rd reported case of someone getting shut down. and all the same response. we will get back with you. so be it.

Message 38 of 92
toi34
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
I have Premier and I'm laying low till dust settles.

LMAO! Smiley Very Happy

Message 39 of 92
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

No issues with normal usage on both of mine.  I suppose if the trend continues with account blockages (for whichever undisclosed reasons) then this might push the date of availability when folks may be able to apply again, just my guess.

Message 40 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.