Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dinged at PenFed; ask for recon?

tag
Lilybuggy
Valued Member

Dinged at PenFed; ask for recon?

I am a recent member at PenFed. I decided to go ahead an apply for the credit card (the one with 5% on gas).  I was declined in about 12 hours.  Among the recent was too recent delinquencies.  Here's the thing though: I had one charge-off that is now being deleted from my account; and I'm working to have one collection and a 30-day late removed as well. I think I will be successful with these efforts.  Otherwise, I have had a good credit history for 16 years.  Myfico score was 646, but according to Penfed it was 718.  Anyhow, can/should I ask them to recon and pull the report again once these baddies have been removed? Is this a horrible idea?

Another reason is that I do have high credit limits on some my cards because at a certain point I had a much higher income.  Since then, I've become a mom and while I still work, I probably make half as much.  My husband has continued to stay on teh fast track so his income has remained high.  We have a joint bank account so our money is shared. How does a primary caretaker who takes a step back in their career (such as a stay-at-home mom or even a working parent but with more flexible hours) get a cc to consider the spouse's income without being a joint account? Is there anyway or do we have to apply together?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dinged at PenFed; ask for recon?

Penfed is one of the most conservative lenders around (maybe even the most conservative) so this isn't surprising. If your report gets cleaned up and you have a thick file, you may have a good chance. But wait until your report is spotless.
Message 2 of 7
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Lily;

I think unless you live in a community property state, you may have to app jointly, with your husband as primary or maybe be content with being an AU on his card.  PenFed is one of the harder cards to get when it comes to the one you mentioned.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 3 of 7
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

They do dot all I's and t's. I had to provide additional documentation before they would approve my account(s). Since then it has been HEAVEN. They are professional, knowledgeable, and they do take care of those whom take care of them. I started with a high apr on my credit card. Less than a year it was reduced to about 9.99%. (I never have run a balance, always pif).

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 7
CS800
Super Contributor

Penfed is very conservative. I gor shot down pretty fast by them only to receive a good refi for my car from USAA as well as their AMEX and Platinum, but even with a recon letter, Penfed said no...go figure.

Message 5 of 7
boomhower
Valued Contributor

To get a Penfed card your report has to be pretty much completely clean, low utility, and no new accounts.  They are extremely tight.

Message 6 of 7
CS800
Super Contributor

Penfed and PSECU are very tight.

Got shot down also last year by PSECU for having a paid collection that's 5 years old on my EX

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.