Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dinners club and Big Purchases!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dinners club and Big Purchases!!!!

Yes I know... I cannot get enough of diners club... Lol, subsequently, I want to know what are some of the largest single item purchases you have made? I'm thinking about buying something that costs about $20k, and normally I would put it on my amex or chase, however, I think it would be fun to test the waters with diners.... All the while I cross my fingers and hope that they do not close my account, which will probably end up happened...

Anyway, what are some of your largest single item purchases on your premier or elite.

Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Dinners club and Big Purchases!!!!

I would think they might freeze your account for a large purchase. Only due to a possible fraudulent charge. Unless thats your spending habits with them of course Smiley Tongue
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

Well, I was going to brag about my $129.10 at the grocery store, but now....

I'm not sure it is a good habit to get into, springing $20k charges on a CCC. They do have a phone number on the card, correct? Maybe a verbalization of your plans prior to sending the charge over would be in order? Just a thought. YMMV.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes I know... I cannot get enough of diners club... Lol, subsequently, I want to know what are some of the largest single item purchases you have made? I'm thinking about buying something that costs about $20k, and normally I would put it on my amex or chase, however, I think it would be fun to test the waters with diners.... All the while I cross my fingers and hope that they do not close my account, which will probably end up happened...

Anyway, what are some of your largest single item purchases on your premier or elite.

Smiley Happy

Do it!

Message 4 of 18
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Im not sure about Diners, however, my GF just put 25k on a credit card from BofA yesterday and I was sure it was going to be declined, however, much to my amazement - no issues. Go figure!

Message 5 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I might simply call and tell them it's coming and usually they just notate the account... if the CL is there i don't see any issues!

I never understand all the hype about i think my account will be closed if i use it type stuff!

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, from my experience, the CSR's are pretty incompetent, and I would rather not call them and ask. Last thing is them confusing the type of purchase I want to make for a "risk" type user. I pay my balances in full usually (amex made this a habit for me)... so I guess I may try and see

Message 7 of 18
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

I made my first transaction for $6,600 last month, and it went thru with no hassle. I linked the card to my PayPal account for for this transaction. I paid off the full amount in less than a week and haven't used the card ever since.

CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 8 of 18
elim
Senior Contributor

nice sig OP

Message 9 of 18
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, from my experience, the CSR's are pretty incompetent, and I would rather not call them and ask. Last thing is them confusing the type of purchase I want to make for a "risk" type user. I pay my balances in full usually (amex made this a habit for me)... so I guess I may try and see

I don't think they're necessarily incompetent, I get the impression they have limitations with the computers theyre using.  I heard they might be outsourced as well, but I don't know.

This time of year it's probably good to call any lender before making a large purchase.  Just yesterday my Club Carlson and HHonors Reserve got security locked over a $1,000 purchase I was trying to make.  Citi handled it quick, but US Bank....good grief, I was on hold for almost 40 minutes to speak to the fraud department.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.