Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Rewards Discover by HSBC

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Direct Rewards Discover by HSBC

SherriLynn wrote:

Thank you, and congrats on the Wachovia!  What CL did you get on that one?

Got $2500 and is my biggest CL to date.
Message 11 of 15
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

My Discover Card is genuine.

I do have an HSBC issued card and I am very unenthused by it. It is a relic that lives on for age purposes. It will never again carry a balance and I doubt they will ever give me another CLI. The account is in A-1 status. It's just the way they are.

Search the web elsewhere regarding Wachovia. While there is not much here pro or con there is a lot negative reported elsewhere. I think they handle their own cards now. At the time of the merger MBNA was in the mix somehow but they are no longer involved. Wouldn't look to good if BofA was handling Wachovia's CC's.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to echo what jmbfl said about HSBC cutting off credit cards with no notice whatsoever.  I used to have Best Buy and CompUSA store cards through HSBC and I had incidents at each store where I tried to use the card and it didn't go through (because it hadn't been used in months).  HSBC is the only issuer I've ever come across to pull crap like that--it may be good business practice to prune dormant accounts, but not when you don't give any notice to the cardholder beforehand, leading them to waste their time in a most embarrassing fashion.
Message 13 of 15
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

MarkRabo wrote:
I just wanted to echo what jmbfl said about HSBC cutting off credit cards with no notice whatsoever.  I used to have Best Buy and CompUSA store cards through HSBC and I had incidents at each store where I tried to use the card and it didn't go through (because it hadn't been used in months).  HSBC is the only issuer I've ever come across to pull crap like that--it may be good business practice to prune dormant accounts, but not when you don't give any notice to the cardholder beforehand, leading them to waste their time in a most embarrassing fashion.

There are reports of this type of thing here and all over the intenet. This is the kind of activity turns an "issuer" into a "jackass". smileys

Message Edited by jmbfl on 09-13-2008 09:35 AM
Message 14 of 15
dondk
Valued Member

@SherriLynn wrote:
Ok, so I was reading the BK friendly card thread, and noticed someone had a Discover card.  Huh?  I have a BK from 11/05, and never imagined having a Discover card, at least until 2015 LOL.  I thought what the heck, I'll apply.  So I picked the Motiva, which I was declined for, but got a counter offer for the Direct Rewards Discover by HSBC!  Does anyone have this card?  I'm wondering what CL I will get, since it just said I'll get my card in the mail soon.  Will this card eventually qualify me for a regular Discover card?  tia 

update:  just called... CL $2300! 

Message Edited by SherriLynn on 09-09-2008 07:08 PM

I got this exact card a little more than a month ago. No AF, 600 CL and I have not used it yet. I have read here and elsewhere that Discover cards maintained by the secondary providers are just okay. So I called Discover directly and tried to recon, in my conversation with them, my BK from 05 is why they will not touch me and I have to give it a few more years. The discover rep mentioned that if I keep this co-branded Discover in good standing they will weigh that heavily when considering me for their card. For that reason alone, I took the HSBC.

HSBC I am not fond of, they are stingy with CLI in my opinion and customer service has a lot to be desired. I looked at the rewards and it is nothing to write home about. Overall, for me it is a backup card.. other than target it is my lowest CL.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.