Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in AMEX customer service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disappointed in AMEX customer service

I have been an AMEX cardholder for about a year and let's say I was just as excited as everone else here upon getting my first card with them. Since then, I have continually been less and less impressed with their customer service to the point where I now feel they are just resting on their laurels. It may be that I have one of their less impressive cards but the few times I have called in with an actual issue it seems that 75% of the calls are directed to an offshore center where the CSRs have little authority to help beyond a rehearsed script. The remaining calls that do get directed to an American agent remind me of the store clerks at high end stores that give off a condescending vibe if I am dressed down or do not look the part of someone who will actually buy something.

Whether they are able to help me resolve my issue is one matter. In my line of work, I understand that things are not always able to get resolved immediately. But poor customer service and a holier than thou attitude are a whole separate issue and AMEX falls short of other creditors in my book. I will still use their card and continue to build my relationship with them but I am wary that the term "valued customer" they are so quick to throw out has lost its meaning.

Just thought I'd share since AMEX seems to be held on a pedestal in these forums.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Disappointed in AMEX customer service

Despite AMEX outsourcing a lot of their CS, I still have never had a problem with them. Anytime I have called with an issue, they are quick to offer a solution or at least provide the information that they can at the time. Recently, I forgot to make my payment before the due date and was hit with a late fee. I noticed, called them, and they immediately reversed the late fee and apologized to me for the inconvenience.

I have had many issues with Chase, but never AMEX.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about your experience. In my case I have found them to be good and receptive.

HAve you tred escalating to a supervisor?

Message 3 of 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your experience. In my case I have found them to be good and receptive.

HAve you tred escalating to a supervisor?

+1

I think maybe you should let them know of your experiences.  I've had nothing but good customer service from them... and that's even having had to endure a FR.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 23
learnin113
Established Contributor

Try dealing with Orchard or Chase or BOA.  Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

IMO, the decline in customer service isn't particular to AMEX, but has occurred across the board as companies have wielded the axe to cut costs.

CSRs are outsourced, poorly trained, and usually neglected from an investment perspective....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 23
Ron1
Super Contributor

I didn't have any problem with them. Someone used my Amex BCE twice last couple of years and they emailed/called to notify me.  You don't get that kind services from other issuers.

Ron.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's never been serious enough for me to escalate it to anyone but just an observation I've made. I naturally expect more of Amex since they always tout how good their CS is and all the awards they've won and such. I just feel that everytime I get off the phone with them it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Interestingly, the CS from Chase has been outstanding in my experience. I can't remember ever feeling belittled in the same way after getting off the phone with them. Same goes for Citibank and BOA and I my impression of BOA is not the greatest.

Overall, I'd rank my experience as follows:

Chase 8/10 - good CSRs, short wait time, recon after app rejected, best online banking interface, consolidated multiple accounts for higher CL (negative: hard inquiry for customer initiated CLI)

Citi 7/10 - limited contact but good CSRs, short wait time, extremely well thought out application process, expedited shipping for replacement card (negative: pending transactions not listed online)

Amex 4/10 - fair/poor CSRs, short/medium wait time, links on online banking frequently do not work (refer a friend, track your rewards), said they would follow up on an issue and never got back to me (positive: nothing concrete save the fact that Amex is Amex and carries a certain respectability)

BOA 4/10 - fair CSRs, long/very long wait time, CS fragmented into too many departments so transfers are common, no consolidation of accounts (positive: generous starting CL, only time I ever disputed a charge it was a piece of cake)

It's interesting actually to hear about your different experiences. I guess there really is no way to generalize an entire company. I'm not a big spender but considering the fact that I routinely charge a couple thousand to my cards and make 50-100 transactions every month, always paying in full and not a single late payment I'd expect at least to not be talked down to when I call about an issue that is important to me.

Message 8 of 23
john398
Senior Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

I didn't have any problem with them. Someone used my Amex BCE twice last couple of years and they emailed/called to notify me.  You don't get that kind services from other issuers.

Ron.

I have Chase do that

Message 9 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@learnin113 wrote:

Try dealing with Orchard or Chase or BOA.  Smiley Sad

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.