Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in AMEX customer service

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Disappointed in AMEX customer service

I generally have good CS with all cards but can recall  Cap1 annoying the bejesus out of me (several years ago) to the point the card was closed over the phone.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 23
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I'll chime in on this one. I called to activate today my upgraded Platinum card and I got a guy in Ohio--yes, he told me where he was from when he answered the call. He was nothing but cordial and informative and knew all the answers to every question I asked without having to put me on hold or consult a manual, script or supervisor. Similarly, I've had great calls with Discover as well who are always stateside. My .02!

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had great experiences when I am signing up for cards. Subsequent phone calls, not so much. They refused to give me sign up bonus that was promised. Numerous calls. Got nowhere. My gold with 175 AF originally had 20K spending on it. Now they took it down to 2K. I will be closing it before next fee hits. I make about 3 large 20K purchases a year. They claim that they lowered me  because of my spend pattern. I explained to them I needed at least 20K spend on my gold for the times I need to use it, but no go because when I am not making the 3 large purchases year, I only put about 500 per month on the card. They claim based on that pattern, I only get 2K. I am done with charge cards. I will stick to their credit products. At least I have decent limits on those. 

Message 13 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been an AMEX cardholder for about a year and let's say I was just as excited as everone else here upon getting my first card with them. Since then, I have continually been less and less impressed with their customer service to the point where I now feel they are just resting on their laurels. It may be that I have one of their less impressive cards but the few times I have called in with an actual issue it seems that 75% of the calls are directed to an offshore center where the CSRs have little authority to help beyond a rehearsed script. The remaining calls that do get directed to an American agent remind me of the store clerks at high end stores that give off a condescending vibe if I am dressed down or do not look the part of someone who will actually buy something.

Whether they are able to help me resolve my issue is one matter. In my line of work, I understand that things are not always able to get resolved immediately. But poor customer service and a holier than thou attitude are a whole separate issue and AMEX falls short of other creditors in my book. I will still use their card and continue to build my relationship with them but I am wary that the term "valued customer" they are so quick to throw out has lost its meaning.

Just thought I'd share since AMEX seems to be held on a pedestal in these forums.

Just curious, what do you mean "dressed" down?  

For me, I've always found the few times I needed to call them to better than most other cards I've called.  

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just giving an analogy about how I feel was treated the handful of times I had to call in for something. Granted not all the CSRs were like this but I found on more than one occassion that they were curt and gave off a condescending tone like why is this person calling about this matter.

I'll give you two examples. I signed up for online billing back when I opened my account and there was an issue with the statements not generating properly. To me this was a huge concern b/c I am one to always pay responsibly. I sent a secured message and they weren't able to help me. I called in and they weren't able to help me. They said they would follow up on the issue in 24-48 hours and let me know, which never happened. The billing was messed up for about 2 weeks after this call and magically started working one day. Then I noticed my rewards weren't posting at all (3 months into the account). I had to call again and a rude CSR pretty much dismissed my concern and said they will post when they post, like why am I so stupid I need to ask?

Fast forward to more recently, I wanted to refer a family member for the bonus. I clicked on the "refer a friend" link on my account and it was a dead link. I looked around the website b/c I thought maybe there's another link that works. Couldn't find one so I called in and this time the CSR was extremely curt and told me to use the search function. I had no idea what he was talking about so I told him I was confused, at which point he gave me a talking down to like why can't I do a simple thing as that?

Maybe I am just sensitive to things like this b/c I was raised to always be respectful and considerate of others but I felt belittled by these exchanges, however insignificant they were. Yes its nice to carry an Amex but at some point I realize that we are customers and some accountability should be expected, not just from Amex but from anyone we choose to do business with.

Message 15 of 23
TM82
Regular Contributor

Maybe it's just the Sapphire CS but they provide me with excellent service everytime I call them.

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 16 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just giving an analogy about how I feel was treated the handful of times I had to call in for something. Granted not all the CSRs were like this but I found on more than one occassion that they were curt and gave off a condescending tone like why is this person calling about this matter.

I'll give you two examples. I signed up for online billing back when I opened my account and there was an issue with the statements not generating properly. To me this was a huge concern b/c I am one to always pay responsibly. I sent a secured message and they weren't able to help me. I called in and they weren't able to help me. They said they would follow up on the issue in 24-48 hours and let me know, which never happened. The billing was messed up for about 2 weeks after this call and magically started working one day. Then I noticed my rewards weren't posting at all (3 months into the account). I had to call again and a rude CSR pretty much dismissed my concern and said they will post when they post, like why am I so stupid I need to ask?

Fast forward to more recently, I wanted to refer a family member for the bonus. I clicked on the "refer a friend" link on my account and it was a dead link. I looked around the website b/c I thought maybe there's another link that works. Couldn't find one so I called in and this time the CSR was extremely curt and told me to use the search function. I had no idea what he was talking about so I told him I was confused, at which point he gave me a talking down to like why can't I do a simple thing as that?

Maybe I am just sensitive to things like this b/c I was raised to always be respectful and considerate of others but I felt belittled by these exchanges, however insignificant they were. Yes its nice to carry an Amex but at some point I realize that we are customers and some accountability should be expected, not just from Amex but from anyone we choose to do business with.

I couldn't agree with you more.

In my view, there is NEVER a reason to be rude, uncivil or treat a person in an undignified manner.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase is my longest account and the CS has always been good. I recently switched over to a Freedom and again no compaints there.

Message 18 of 23
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I'm not impressed with the CSRs at Amex either.  However, and I'm not certain, it seems the charge card holders have better customer service.  I would love to learn more on this.

I had a Citi rep a couple of weeks ago who was absolutely rude to me.  Bank of America has been the worst and I don't even have a credit card with them...just multiple accounts and a debit VISA.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I'm not impressed with the CSRs at Amex either.  However, and I'm not certain, it seems the charge card holders have better customer service.  I would love to learn more on this.

I had a Citi rep a couple of weeks ago who was absolutely rude to me.  Bank of America has been the worst and I don't even have a credit card with them...just multiple accounts and a debit VISA.

Regarding Amex, that has been my experience as well.  However, for me, it's such a small sample size, that it could merely be conincendental.  I've only gotten very US Professional reps whenever my calls were regarding my charge cards, but seem to get an offshore one every now and then when I call on my Blue cash everyday.

I'm curious what others have experienced in relation to calls about their "fee" and "no fee" cards.

Regarding B of A, I've always had excellent customer service from them whenever I called.  Also, Discover has been very impressive and incredibly responsive.  I'd have to say that Discover is closing the gap with Amex's customer service.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.