Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in Citi

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Disappointed in Citi

Had my DC declined today for a haircut.  Get on the app and it tells me I have a $21 balance and $1.99 in available credit.  Call in and get transferred from frontline somewhere else.  They tell me they decided to put a 10 day hold on the payment I made yesterday morning even though at the time it listed the funds as available credit.  I was told this is policy anytime someone makes multiple payments in a billing cycle.  They had nothing to say to me when I told them I made multiple payments every billing cycle and have since they turned my card back on in March.  (I have a whole other thread on the 6 week ordeal with Citi to get them to turn it back on.)  Anybody have any similar issues either with Citi or another bank?  One of the things they told me was that lots of banks are doing something similar.  Here is the really interesting part, they told me they would free up the credit if they could talk to my bank and verify that the funds were taken out of my account.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disappointed in Citi

That sucks and sound totally unreasonable. I hope it gets resolved. 

Message 2 of 42
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Citi is definetly not in your gameSmiley Sad
Message 3 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't mind me asking, what is your CL and how much was the payment?

I usually pay my DC every week, because I only have a $4000 CL and put a ton of money on it and I don't want the statement to cut with over 20% UTI.

Message 4 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird. As much as I dislike Citibank, they are the best of all my cards in posting payments immediately. I have made multiple payments in the past and did not experience any issues other than they limited me after 3 or 4 (can't remember) in a single billing cycle. 

How large was your balance compared to your credit line? Was the payment very large and close to the credit line? I do not think I worded that correctly....let me try this...lets say you have a $10,000 limit and you had a $9,975 balance and you made $9,900 worth of payments during the billing cycle. I could see why a creditor would do this; especially if you live in SoCal. I worked for a Visa bank many years ago and we had unscrupulous "customers" that liked to check kite; they would charge up their card and then sent a check payment in full or make a phone payment in full. The bank being foolishly trusting, would free up their available credit line. Those "customers" would then charge up their card again to the full credit line. A few days later the payment would be returned NSF and the "customer" would bail. This was really prevalent in Southern California (surprise, surprise).

Message 5 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I put a ton of spend through that card and they just keep showing me love.

I also make many many payments. I just about pay each charge as it posts.

Never had an issue and they offer me lower interest rates and gave me a 150% cli on my first request. 

Im sorry you are having an issue with them and are missing out on potential rewards from that card.

Maybe the bank you are using isn't credible in their eyes. (small or has fraud issues)

I use Bank of America. 

Message 6 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Weird. As much as I dislike Citibank, they are the best of all my cards in posting payments immediately. I have made multiple payments in the past and did not experience any issues other than they limited me after 3 or 4 (can't remember) in a single billing cycle. 

How large was your balance compared to your credit line? Was the payment very large and close to the credit line? I do not think I worded that correctly....let me try this...lets say you have a $10,000 limit and you had a $9,975 balance and you made $9,900 worth of payments during the billing cycle. I could see why a creditor would do this; especially if you live in SoCal. I worked for a Visa bank many years ago and we had unscrupulous "customers" that liked to check kite; they would charge up their card and then sent a check payment in full or make a phone payment in full. The bank being foolishly trusting, would free up their available credit line. Those "customers" would then charge up their card again to the full credit line. A few days later the payment would be returned NSF and the "customer" would bail. This was really prevalent in Southern California (surprise, surprise).

I did a bit of looking closer at the original post, and I see in the OPs signature that the CL is $800.  The OP said their app showed $21 of available credit, so it must have been a payment that was almost the total amount of their CL.

I think you are totally on point, they are probably just instituting measures to protect themselves, and I think that would be totally reasonable.  My guess is that once the OP builds up some reasonable payment history with Citi, or at least a record of making sizable valid payments, they would put that practice to bed.

Message 7 of 42
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Well, it didn't work for me.  My Citi DC is over a year old.  The limit is way below my other cards, but I use it because of the 2% for every purchase.  Many times have to pay off more than once during the month, but my usage percentage is always way up there.  I asked for a CI after 7 months of having the card which was denied.  When I asked them to reconsider and explained I had a perfect payment record with them as well as my other credit cards and that I utilized the card a lot.  They gave me a $400 increase - as if that is going to help utilization.  I am going to wait until until June or July of 2018 ask for a CLI again.  The card will be close to 2 years old then.  If I knew of another 2% card I could qualify for, I would apply for it.  The funny thing is I have another credit card with Citi that is much higher and I have never been late with a payment.  It is a Costco, so I understand they are not allowed to transfer any of those funds to the Double Cash.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 8 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I did a bit of looking closer at the original post, and I see in the OPs signature that the CL is $800.  The OP said their app showed $21 of available credit, so it must have been a payment that was almost the total amount of their CL.

I think you are totally on point, they are probably just instituting measures to protect themselves, and I think that would be totally reasonable.  My guess is that once the OP builds up some reasonable payment history with Citi, or at least a record of making sizable valid payments, they would put that practice to bed.

Ohhhhh good catch! I didn't even see that Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

If I knew of another 2% card I could qualify for, I would apply for it.  

Blispay offers 2% cash back on their card.

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.