Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in Citi

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: Disappointed in Citi

A large part of the issue with that is my wife.  She has no interest in credit and just wants me to tell her which card to use.  So I tried to make it easy and tell her just use the double cash.  We tried briefly getting her to use a Freedom for the 5%, the DC for most other things and the CSP for travel tickets and restaurants.  That lasted one month.  If it werent for the bogus collection on my report I would at least ask for a CLI, but it has tanked my scores pretty badly.  I think I'm going to leave the DC for the wife and I'll start spreading my general spend around to Cap One and Chase on my 1.5% cards.  Maybe when my scores improve I will look into Blispay, but I do like some of the ancillary features of the DC.  If my limit was twice what it is now it wouldn't even be a question.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 21 of 42
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I had payment float issues with retail cards from Synchrony and Wells Fargo, and it was a huge part of the reason why I closed both cards. Synchrony told me my payments were too large and that I could have avoided the floats by splitting them up. Wells Fargo told me that the floats were due to the payments being frequent, i.e. just the opposite.

I've had zero issues paying when I want with Capital One, Barclays, Chase, and AMEX. By the next day (or by Tuesday if I pay on a weekend), my payment has posted and my available credit has been restored. The only variable I run into is whether or not a bank counts Saturday as a business day.

The bottom line is that I want my bookkeeping to be in order. It doesn't make sense to wait to pay a bill that I'm ready to pay today.

Message 22 of 42
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

This is a head-scratcher for me. I called up AMEX because I make several mid-cycle payments on both my AMEX Platinum and my Delta Platinum each month.

I asked if the bank had any issues with me making those payments and was told "absolutely not". The CSR i spoke to said he personally has the Blue Cash and does the same with his card.

He said AMEX has no issues either on the charge or on the revolver side.
Message 23 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RicHowe wrote:
This is a head-scratcher for me. I called up AMEX because I make several mid-cycle payments on both my AMEX Platinum and my Delta Platinum each month.

I asked if the bank had any issues with me making those payments and was told "absolutely not". The CSR i spoke to said he personally has the Blue Cash and does the same with his card.

Well never entirely rely on what one CSR tells you.  Front line reps are often clueless about their company’s policies and there are multiple threads on here about Amex not liking multiple payments in an account especially if it’s new  or if you add a new bank as the payment source.

Message 24 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have made TONS of multiple payments to citi and capital one and never had payment hold issues. I am certain because my CL was higher and may balance and payment were smaller comparing to cl. But if i had smaller CL and larger payment im sure my payments would be held too.

Navy however held my payments two times last month for 7 days each for making more than 3 payments within 15 days even though my CL is way higher than my payments.  First it freaked me out , i thought they dont trust me etc but after the research came to know that its just their policy. If more than 3 payments are made within 15 days , they hold it.  Lesson learnt , i made infrequent large payments this month and no payment hold any more. My nfcu amex credit was released immediately. 

Paypal 2% cash back however does not like large payments but it doesnt mind frequent payments.

They held my payment for 10 days 2 times last month for paying  large payments . Lesson learnt i made smaller payments and payment was in available credit the very next day. 

We just need to learn and adjust according to the habits if creditors Smiley Wink and diversify our spending on different 1.5%, 5% or  2% cards, so that we dont depend on any one lender.

I have four 2% cards that i use depending on the statement date and pay check date. Citi DC ,Penfed power cash, Paypal 2%, and Blispay.  

One thing to note is its not personal, its just their policies , and if we can learn the way they operate ,we can utilize our cards the best and benefit

Message 25 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well never entirely rely on what one CSR tells you.  Front line reps are often clueless about their company’s policies and there are multiple threads on here about Amex not liking multiple payments in an account especially if it’s new  or if you add a new bank as the payment source.

Whoops, good to know.  My Amex is new as of 11/2/18, I put $515 on the first month but wanted to see if it would report at all at first statement (it didn't) so I decided to use a little extra float and paid $515 off a week ago, but have $308 left to pay before the statement cuts so I was planning on making that payment before the 20th when the statement cuts.  Still going to do it, but will relax it going forward and just stick to one payment a month 3 days before statement cuts and just avoid using the card for those days.  I'd prefer that card always report $0 utilization since it's strictly my grocery card (although I did use it twice for Amex Offers that were significant ones!).

I plan on pushing payments to Amex after this month from my Chase bill pay versus pulling them from Amex.  Chase bill pay is just awesome, it works with everyone (so far) and I've had zero issues.  I typically pay twice a month on everything just so I never forget to make a payment (autopay is set up) and to manage utilization better.  I'll note Amex as once a month payment for now.

Message 26 of 42
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Treasurecredit, I will look into Blispay.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 27 of 42
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

banquier stated, "I usually PIF one week before the due date with them (even though I know the closing date still gives 2-7 more days on my account for charges/payments to post)."  I do that too, in addition to making multiple payment during the month, just trying to keep utilization down.  Hopefully, they will eventually give me a good CLI.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 28 of 42
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@RicHowe wrote:

I agree with the never entirely rely on a single CSR and that there have been problems pointed out in the past, but I am wondering if things have changed recently?  With the recent introduction of Plan It/Pay It, there's now a possibility of making tons of micropayments throughout a statement cycle.  Like if I used Pay It on my SPG during a typical month, I might pull 70-80 payments ranging from $1 to $3000.

Message 29 of 42
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

AMEX has payment restrictions during the first month after you add a new bank account. There are so many wrinkles that it's almost unreasonable to expect a customer service rep to be able to cover all of it. And the same thing applies when we try to describe the policy here. But the upshot is that you can pay as many times as you want as long as it's toward your statement balance. And I think you can make one "prepayment" beyond that. I made one payment before my first statement cut without issue. That may have been the one prepayment.

If you add a new bank account down the road, the policy kicks in for the new account, but the old account is unaffected. If you're able to transition from your first account to your new one over the course of the month, you'd be able to avoid restrictions.

After the first month, you're good to go, and you can pay as you like. When AMEX announced their Pay It feature, the press release quoted an executive as saying, "Pay It was inspired by Card Members who prefer making multiple payments throughout the month.  Now we've made it even easier to do this in our app."

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.