Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed w/ Cap1. Still no cli :-(

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Disappointed w/ Cap1. Still no cli :-(

Ok, last month I was really angry and posted about cap 1 not giving me a cli. Yes, I realize that credit is a privilege and cli are not guaranteed. Anyway...my last cli was 4/10/14, so last month( my October statement), I was upset when I saw I didn't get an increase. It HAD been 6 months since my last, so I hit the button and denied. Call EO.... Denied. Was upset because my scores have actually gone up 10pts, my util was 1%, and I used the card more than I had previously. So, I cashed out my rewards for a credit, and paid my balance off ($900), and it reported last night with a $0 bal. 

Me being hopeful, I thought that even though it had been since 6 months since last cli, yesterday was actually my "12th statement", and thought maybe ill get a small bump.  Checked this morning and again, nothing. Since I'm done with credit steps, I thought maybe I'm supposed to hit the button again, so I did..... Nothing.  There will be those who will not understand this and probably never will unless you've had to rebuild from nothing, but I've worked very hard to rebuild since my Bk7 last yr, using my cards, pif before statements cut except for one card, and I've kept my util at 1% every single mth since bk.  So, the card sits at a $0 bal, and will remain in the SD, ill bring it out for a small purchase every few months. 

What baffles me is that everyone knows how sensitive and jealous Barclays is, and they almost doubled my limit  a few months ago, AND I had new accounts since them, AND inquiries. But I also use the card ALOT!!  I will just continue to use Barclays more heavily now, since I think they are more likely to give increase, even small ones.  I would have been happy if cap 1 had even given me a small $200 cli! At least that meant I was moving forward!Smiley Sad  I don't have plans to apply for anything for 2 yrs. I'm gardening my accounts and aging off all the rebuilding inquiries.  

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59
juggar
Contributor

Re: Disappointed w/ Cap1. Still no cli :-(

@pizza1 wrote:

Ok, last month I was really angry and posted about cap 1 not giving me a cli. Yes, I realize that credit is a privilege and cli are not guaranteed. Anyway...my last cli was 4/10/14, so last month( my October statement), I was upset when I saw I didn't get an increase. It HAD been 6 months since my last, so I hit the button and denied. Call EO.... Denied. Was upset because my scores have actually gone up 10pts, my util was 1%, and I used the card more than I had previously. So, I cashed out my rewards for a credit, and paid my balance off ($900), and it reported last night with a $0 bal. 

Me being hopeful, I thought that even though it had been since 6 months since last cli, yesterday was actually my "12th statement", and thought maybe ill get a small bump.  Checked this morning and again, nothing. Since I'm done with credit steps, I thought maybe I'm supposed to hit the button again, so I did..... Nothing.  There will be those who will not understand this and probably never will unless you've had to rebuild from nothing, but I've worked very hard to rebuild since my Bk7 last yr, using my cards, pif before statements cut except for one card, and I've kept my util at 1% every single mth since bk.  So, the card sits at a $0 bal, and will remain in the SD, ill bring it out for a small purchase every few months. 

What baffles me is that everyone knows how sensitive and jealous Barclays is, and they almost doubled my limit  a few months ago, AND I had new accounts since them, AND inquiries. But I also use the card ALOT!!  I will just continue to use Barclays more heavily now, since I think they are more likely to give increase, even small ones.  I would have been happy if cap 1 had even given me a small $200 cli! At least that meant I was moving forward!Smiley Sad  I don't have plans to apply for anything for 2 yrs. I'm gardening my accounts and aging off all the rebuilding inquiries.  

What was the denial reason on the letter? 

I always ask for a CLI but they always say "existing usage of this accounts credit line is too low" and as of recently "too many inquires" (lol i have like 20)

But then I applied for the Venture one rewards card and they give 5K Credit limit. Weird. 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 2 of 60
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I don't know how much went with the bankruptcy, but a bankruptcy at all is a risk factor for an institution. Capital One gave you credit and that is enough to be thankful for. No, I haven't ever had to rebuild, but I get declined for things or get low limits sometimes and then I see someone else with derogatory information get something higher. I don't get mad, I just say oh well and try again later. 35050 seems like a lot in credit cards for a one year old bankruptcy, so just use the other cards. Time is what you need and you just can't rush it. Wait another six months and then another. Perhaps when your credit is better you can apply for another Capital One credit card.

Comparing them to Barclays doesn't matter because different companies have different policies with regard to lending.

Message 3 of 60
Ragelog
Established Contributor

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax. You went from a discharged bankruptcy to having over 50K in available credit in just over a year from the discharge date. To me that sounds like plenty of second chance given by several lenders. I never went the bankruptcy route although it may have made things easier. I have been rebuilding for a little over 2 years gradually or you may say over 6 years if you count when things got bad for me and C/O's happened repo etc but until the last of my baddies fall off there isn't much I can do. I am gradually learning that patience and not linking credit lines limits to success. 

Think about it this way a 15 months ago you had no credit. Now you have 35k in Store/Major CC and another 15k LOC. A large portion of people without having any major negative issues don't have anywhere near that is my guess. I am one of those people. I am sitting at just over 12k. In July 2012 I had 0 revolving credit. This is the most I have had in my life. I have acheived more than I thought possible since joining this site in March I didn't have an unsecured card except crappy First Premier. Since then I have closed any cards with annual fees that wouldn't grow with me. I have been approved for a Barclay Reward that will hit 6 months in December I think. Approved for a DCU refinance dropping my interest rate from 17.25% to 1.49%. Approved for a Chase Freedom and Slate as well as a Overstock account (not great but with promo APR) helps for the holidays.

Stay positive you have improved things dramatically garden and let time improve things. I find this website can almost make one feel like they are successful or a failure based on the latest Approved or Denied Tradeline or Credit Limit Increase when in reality that isn't the case. 

Focus on all that you have had go positively for you since your discharge versus not getting another measly 200 CLI from Capital One. 

At the end of the day would receiving a $200 CLI changed your life in anyway?

Just my thoughts good luck the next time around and remember one day you will likely look back as I hope I will and remember how hard things were as I am shredding awesome credit card offers left and right. 

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 4 of 60
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Juggar.... Yep, same response, lol. I have no plans to apply to them for anything at this point.

Navigate... Actually, there are several people on these boards (I've been following for a long time) whose been approved right out of bk with cap one for. $2-$3k starting limits and a yr later sitting at $4k. I'm not too upset anymore, just a little disappointed like I said because I'm extra cautious in my rebuild. And yes, I do have quite a bit of credit available to me for being yr out, and I am thankful, but do I  go crazy and max them all out?? Hell no! I'm trying to prove to new creditors that I can manage and handle all that credit, and Ive done very well. There were actually a few months where the CRA reported 0 util because I forgot to let one card report and I  was mad at myself, lol!!! I'm just trying very very hard to show responsible use and managementSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 60
Ragelog
Established Contributor

Oh one of the cards I had was a Capital One Secured card that only ever received a 100 CLI pretty early on. I closed it recently I had that card for nearly 2.5 years and only got a 100 CLI. So things could be worse Smiley Happy

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 6 of 60
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Rage log...

I commend you too for your rebuild!! You had a lot of obstacles to get around too, and still. You've done a good job yourself!! And if it wasn't for Navy FCU, and being able to be a member from my Dad, I wouldn't have that LOC or a $10k visa, so I am thankful for what I have! It's also so true what you said about these forums, feeling either successful or like a failure depending on what you read, but everyone's credit profile is different, and I had a very thick profile before this happened and think that has helped me. I think I've  reached that point in my rebuild that I've obtained cards, car loan, etc... So now I'm gonna just chill for a few yrs and let time do its  thing, and not ask for cli with anyone or app. I've got enough to work withSmiley Happy

And congrats to you for getting your refinance with DCU on your car! That's awesome! I refinanced with navy went from 23% Santander to Navy 3.45%, and I always pay an additional $20 a month. Keep it up! I'd love to have a car loan in the future (maybe 5-6yrs from now) with DCU, I am a member now for that reason Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 60
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

There will be those who will not understand this and probably never will unless you've had to rebuild from nothing 

I rebuilt from a sub 500 score and my take on CapOne is this - they served a purpose and were not worth the aggravation after a point in time.  Looks like you may be hitting that time.  

Message 8 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I began rebuilding after my bk ch 7 in aug 2012 and I started with Capital One and they have been slow to give out cli's but basically i started at a 300 limit in september 2012 and was increased to 500 after 6 months and 750 after another six months and just last month I finally got 1250. I think they could have been more generous considering my history with them and my limits on a couple other cards I have but Ill still use them. They are just conservative and I think its important to remember that credit is not personal its business and we should not get offended or upset because its business,money and risk. 

Message 9 of 60
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

I'm due for one as well. My last CLI was almost 7 months ago. Unfortunately, Cap1 may still be using old CR for their SPs. That's what I discovered (and others) last month.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 10 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.