Did you mean: 

Disco APR Reduction Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disco APR Reduction Question

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

Can't change the terms of an account in the 1st year due to CARD Act.

Don't believe card act has anything to do with APR being lowering it.. Where-as it stops lenders from putting an AF on or charging higher feeds within the first year when what was signed up for among other things... Such as you can't PC from a 0 AF card to a 95$ card, but APR reductions I believe are fair game.  With that said Discover I believe has a internal policy nothing to do with the card act that you can't ask for a lower APR prior to a year where-as Amex and other cards I have got my APR lower before a year time frame.

The wording at least as I read it in the below link by MF is somewhat confusing as it does say interest rates must remain the same for a year.  However, given that posters, as indicated above, have received lower APRs during the first year, it appears that they can be lowered, just not raised.

When you open a new account, your interest rate must stay at the opening rate for at least 12 months.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/attachments/fico/creditcardact/1/1/Credit%20CARD%20Act%20and%20new...

Message 11 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Disco APR Reduction Question

I had a thought.... it could be how Discover interprets complying with the CARD act.... as changing APR IS changing the initial terms in the first year..

Remember they are somewhat new to secured cards..... and most of their nonsecured customers usually have a promo period for the first year.... where not changing APR is a pretty standard internal policy ..... Just wait out the year and then ask.... not much you can do about it...

-J

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.