Reply
Regular Contributor
DeadSpider
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-29-2012

Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards

I was thinking since this quarter is 5% off all online store and DiscoverShop gives you 5% that's total of 10% to buy Walmart gift cards and use them at Sams Club/Sams Gas !!!

 

Oct 6th 2% + 5% + 5% =12% giftcards at Walmart or any online ShopDiscover.

 

It should work right ????

Cap1 QS $11500, Freedom $5000K, Slate $8000 Amex Sky $2000K, Discover IT $4400, BCE $8800, NFL $1500, Lowes $7000

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: 742
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
SwampSystems
Posts: 358
Registered: ‎06-25-2012

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards

No. If you read the ShopDiscover terms for Walmart, it specifically says it does not cover gift cards. And the 5% quarterly bonus does not apply to purchases "made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, or discount stores" which includes Walmart.

Regular Contributor
DeadSpider
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-29-2012

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards

Buzz killer LOL

Cap1 QS $11500, Freedom $5000K, Slate $8000 Amex Sky $2000K, Discover IT $4400, BCE $8800, NFL $1500, Lowes $7000

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: 742
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
SwampSystems
Posts: 358
Registered: ‎06-25-2012

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards

The best way to do it is buy Walmart gift cards at a gas station when Discover is doing a 5% gas quarter, and then use the gift cards when Walmart does the 10 cent gas rollback. The hardest part is finding a gas station that sells Walmart gift cards.

Contributor
wealthcreator
Posts: 211
Registered: ‎07-02-2012

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards


SwampSystems wrote:

No. If you read the ShopDiscover terms for Walmart, it specifically says it does not cover gift cards. And the 5% quarterly bonus does not apply to purchases "made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, or discount stores" which includes Walmart.


Does this mean all stores come under this category ? If we choose target, jcp, old navy or macys ??

 

Walmart TU-724 on 12-2012
EX-707 on 08-2012
EQ-668on 08-2012
_________________________________
Wallet - Discover 1500 | Chase Freedom 1500 | OldNavy Visa 2750 | Walmart 2000 | Amex BCE 6000 | BoA Visa Sig 5000 | Chase Marriott 5000 | Amex Hhonor 2000 | CSP 5000
__________________________________________
Frequent Contributor
SwampSystems
Posts: 358
Registered: ‎06-25-2012

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards


wealthcreator wrote:

SwampSystems wrote:

No. If you read the ShopDiscover terms for Walmart, it specifically says it does not cover gift cards. And the 5% quarterly bonus does not apply to purchases "made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, or discount stores" which includes Walmart.


Does this mean all stores come under this category ? If we choose target, jcp, old navy or macys ??

 


It depends on how the purchase is coded. All of those places are also on ShopDiscover. If you have made a purchase at one of them in the past, find it in your transaction history, click the arrow icon next to it to see more information, and look for the Merchant Category Description. Walmart shows up as "DISCOUNT STORES." Sam's Club shows up as "WHOLESALE CLUBS." SuperTarget shows up as "GROCERY STORES AND SUPERMARKETS." Not sure how regular Target shows up, but I would guess it would be the same as Walmart.

Regular Contributor
alboto
Posts: 211
Registered: ‎08-23-2012

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards

Jcp and macys are under department stores category

Frequent Contributor
scientifics
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards


SwampSystems wrote:

The best way to do it is buy Walmart gift cards at a gas station when Discover is doing a 5% gas quarter, and then use the gift cards when Walmart does the 10 cent gas rollback. The hardest part is finding a gas station that sells Walmart gift cards.


The 5% gas is only for gas purchased at the pump, so this wouldn't work either!

Frequent Contributor
scientifics
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards


wealthcreator wrote:

SwampSystems wrote:

No. If you read the ShopDiscover terms for Walmart, it specifically says it does not cover gift cards. And the 5% quarterly bonus does not apply to purchases "made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, or discount stores" which includes Walmart.


Does this mean all stores come under this category ? If we choose target, jcp, old navy or macys ??

 


Macys and JCP wre department stores. Stores like Target and Old Navy aren't.

Established Contributor
flowfaster
Posts: 787
Registered: ‎08-30-2011

Re: Discover 10% or $12% off gift cards


scientifics wrote:

SwampSystems wrote:

The best way to do it is buy Walmart gift cards at a gas station when Discover is doing a 5% gas quarter, and then use the gift cards when Walmart does the 10 cent gas rollback. The hardest part is finding a gas station that sells Walmart gift cards.


The 5% gas is only for gas purchased at the pump, so this wouldn't work either!


This is wrong.  It is 5% back on anything purchased at a gas station.  No where does it say "at the pump".  I have even contacted CS about this and they say it's anything at a gas station ie chips, soda and beer.

 

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+