Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 5% Cashback for Online

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Discover 5% Cashback for Online

I talked with Discover about their fine print that says that our 5% cashback for online is dependent upon how the merchant codes the purchase. In other words, if the merchant doesn't "code" it as online, you won't get the 5%. She also was quick to point out that they couldn't control that.

She did tell me, however, that anything paid through PayPal with your Discover would be considered online, as well as anything purchased through Amazon.

Thought I'd pass that on. As always with Discover, read the fine print and don't assume.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MrFlower
New Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Cashback for Online

It's funny as PayPal codes as:

Merchant Category DescriptionPAYMENT SERVICE PROVIDER-MERCHANT-PAYMENT TRANSACTION
Broad Industry DescriptionSERVICES-FINANCIAL & INSURANCE
POS Mode DescriptionMANUALLY KEYED

Amazon for me shows "POS Mode Descript" as "Online".

It really seems like a crapshoot of wether a mechant codes it as keyed in or online.

An order for instore pickup I did at The Container Store was coded as online from their corporate address; however, a Homedepot online store pickup was coded as a Manual keyed in from the store location.

So if you aren't using paypal or amazon goodluck.

Message 2 of 15
linux007969
Established Contributor

I called in earlier tonight cuz i was looking into getting some gift cards online and wondered if ordering Discover Gift Cards from their website would still qualify for the 5% cash back or even if i ordered some from American Express since they are another financial institutiuon and the very nice rep took a look and said i should have no problem getting the cash back bonus.

Then i complimented them by telling her how much I love Discover and how they are my favorite Credit Card Company and she really liked that! Then we nicely ended the call! Smiley Very Happy

Then I went online and ordered 3 Discover $25 Gift Cards so I have most of my christmas shopping done already....lol! Smiley Very Happy

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 3 of 15
H4LO
Established Contributor

@linux007969 wrote:

I called in earlier tonight cuz i was looking into getting some gift cards online and wondered if ordering Discover Gift Cards from their website would still qualify for the 5% cash back or even if i ordered some from American Express since they are another financial institutiuon and the very nice rep took a look and said i should have no problem getting the cash back bonus.

Then i complimented them by telling her how much I love Discover and how they are my favorite Credit Card Company and she really liked that! Then we nicely ended the call! Smiley Very Happy

Then I went online and ordered 3 Discover $25 Gift Cards so I have most of my christmas shopping done already....lol! Smiley Very Happy

I'd make sure you didn't get hit with a Cash Advance fee.... Most cards have Gift Cards coded as CA. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 4 of 15
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@MrFlower wrote:

Merchant Category DescriptionPAYMENT SERVICE PROVIDER-MERCHANT-PAYMENT TRANSACTION

It really seems like a crapshoot of wether a mechant codes it as keyed in or online.

An order for instore pickup I did at The Container Store was coded as online from their corporate address; however, a Homedepot online store pickup was coded as a Manual keyed in from the store location.

Actually, I had a PayPal transaction that got listed as manually keyed rather than online and I didn't get the 5% for it. The item I bought via PayPal was from an individual, not a business and it was small so I didn't much care about the points, but you can't count on everything bought through PayPal being eligible.

Message 5 of 15
linux007969
Established Contributor

@H4LO wrote:

@linux007969 wrote:

I'd make sure you didn't get hit with a Cash Advance fee.... Most cards have Gift Cards coded as CA. 

I ordered the personalised ones that i put peoples names on them, they charged me a fee of $3.95 each and free shipping, so i think i'll be good but at any rate i'll keep that in mind and be on the look out if it occurs. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 15
linux007969
Established Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@MrFlower wrote:

Actually, I had a PayPal transaction that got listed as manually keyed rather than online and I didn't get the 5% for it. The item I bought via PayPal was from an individual, not a business and it was small so I didn't much care about the points, but you can't count on everything bought through PayPal being eligible.

last cycle i sent money to my friend again using paypal and i got the 5% cash back, and i sent him more this cycle so we'll see what happens....lol Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 15
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I wish everything could just be as stated in their advertising....but, it's not.

I have a huge trust issue with Discover. At one point, they advertised 5% cash back, for example, on clothing purchases. I bought a large amount from Nike...all clothes...but it was "coded" as merchandise, not clothing. So, no 5% back.

They advertise it...but they don't follow through.

And, I've had customer service tell me they'll fix something, but then not do it. Sometimes I think they tell you what you want to hear at the moment just to get you off the phone.

Message 8 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Jazzy

Discover (like other lenders) do not code the transactions; it is the merchant. Your issue was with Nike unfortunately.
Message 9 of 15
MrFlower
New Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@MrFlower wrote:

I made my statement bassed on what discover had lsited on their site which said paypal. I assume they are ignoring the POS mode for paypal and isntead checking for the merchant descriptor which will be "PAYPAL _________". I make this assumption as I honestly never see a POS mode for PayPal as online but always manually keyed.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.