Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Valued Contributor

Discover 5% Oct-Dec / Be Careful

Discover is giving 5% back from Oct through Dec for online purchases. I checked with Discover to see if that 5% would be given for online purchases at the big box stores like WalMart...because those purchases don't even earn the 1% any other time.

Answer: No

Those online purchases will still only earn the 0.25%. They will NOT earn 5%.

Mega Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Oct-Dec / Be Careful

Jazzzy wrote:

Discover is giving 5% back from Oct through Dec for online purchases. I checked with Discover to see if that 5% would be given for online purchases at the big box stores like WalMart...because those purchases don't even earn the 1% any other time.

Answer: No

Those online purchases will still only earn the 0.25%. They will NOT earn 5%.

That sucks. This is almost a wasted category quarter.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Valued Contributor

LS2982 wrote:

That sucks. This is almost a wasted category quarter.

You're right. I get frustrated at what I consider to be misleading advertising from Discover. This is just one more example.

Valued Contributor

I signed up for it this morning. Just curious, when did enrollment start?
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't take the word of one Discover rep. I would think any transactions coded as online will count for the 5% bonus.
Valued Contributor

kevinjjc wrote:
I signed up for it this morning. Just curious, when did enrollment start?

I'm not sure....seems I usually sign up during the month before the quarter starts.

Valued Contributor

kevinjjc wrote:
I wouldn't take the word of one Discover rep. I would think any transactions coded as online will count for the 5% bonus.

You may want to call Discover. Let us know what the rep tells you.

Right now I have no reason to disbelieve the rep.

Regular Contributor

You can earn 5% cashback when you shop at walmart online through Discover's "ShopDiscover" anytime you want!

Valued Contributor

I'm wondering if this 5% promo is in addition to what you get from ShopDiscover.
Valued Contributor

asteroidblues86 wrote:

You can earn 5% cashback when you shop at walmart online through Discover's "ShopDiscover" anytime you want!

I don't think I've ever shopped online @ WalMart...but I sure wish they gave the 1% cashback on local purchases. We're in a small town, and I would guess the local WalMart to be about 80% of our local spending.

I probably still wouldn't use my Discover there, however, because I have no interest in spending....what is it now....$3,000? per year...before you start to earn the 1% on anything.

Why not start earning rewards from the very beginning? None of my other cards makes me spend $3k before they start paying me 1%.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.