Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

Discover 5% Oct-Dec / Be Careful

Discover is giving 5% back from Oct through Dec for online purchases. I checked with Discover to see if that 5% would be given for online purchases at the big box stores like WalMart...because those purchases don't even earn the 1% any other time.

Answer: No

Those online purchases will still only earn the 0.25%. They will NOT earn 5%.

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: Discover 5% Oct-Dec / Be Careful

Jazzzy wrote:

Discover is giving 5% back from Oct through Dec for online purchases. I checked with Discover to see if that 5% would be given for online purchases at the big box stores like WalMart...because those purchases don't even earn the 1% any other time.

Answer: No

Those online purchases will still only earn the 0.25%. They will NOT earn 5%.

That sucks. This is almost a wasted category quarter.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

LS2982 wrote:

That sucks. This is almost a wasted category quarter.

You're right. I get frustrated at what I consider to be misleading advertising from Discover. This is just one more example.

Valued Contributor
kevinjjc

I signed up for it this morning. Just curious, when did enrollment start?
Valued Contributor
kevinjjc

I wouldn't take the word of one Discover rep. I would think any transactions coded as online will count for the 5% bonus.
Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

kevinjjc wrote:
I signed up for it this morning. Just curious, when did enrollment start?

I'm not sure....seems I usually sign up during the month before the quarter starts.

Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

kevinjjc wrote:
I wouldn't take the word of one Discover rep. I would think any transactions coded as online will count for the 5% bonus.

You may want to call Discover. Let us know what the rep tells you.

Right now I have no reason to disbelieve the rep.

Regular Contributor
asteroidblues86

You can earn 5% cashback when you shop at walmart online through Discover's "ShopDiscover" anytime you want!

Valued Contributor
kevinjjc

I'm wondering if this 5% promo is in addition to what you get from ShopDiscover.
Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

asteroidblues86 wrote:

You can earn 5% cashback when you shop at walmart online through Discover's "ShopDiscover" anytime you want!

I don't think I've ever shopped online @ WalMart...but I sure wish they gave the 1% cashback on local purchases. We're in a small town, and I would guess the local WalMart to be about 80% of our local spending.

I probably still wouldn't use my Discover there, however, because I have no interest in spending....what is it now....$3,000? per year...before you start to earn the 1% on anything.

Why not start earning rewards from the very beginning? None of my other cards makes me spend $3k before they start paying me 1%.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+