Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 5% on online purchases?

tag
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

Discover 5% on online purchases?

hi - i am approaching my 1 year with Discover and not very familiar with them. What does 5% on online "purchases" mean this quarter?   is that any online purchase?  so if i pay a phone bill that is a purchase?  or is this goods?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover 5% on online purchases?

@Ortz33__ wrote:

hi - i am approaching my 1 year with Discover and not very familiar with them. What does 5% on online "purchases" mean this quarter?   is that any online purchase?  so if i pay a phone bill that is a purchase?  or is this goods?

This is a good question!

I'm interested as well, i think it is just goods.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 9
flowfaster
Established Contributor

It is ANY online purchase.  Call or chat with Discover to confirm. 

Tip: Wait until OCT 26th to get the extra 2% that stacks with both ShopDiscover and the bonus category  5%. The extra 2% might be YMMV.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 9
sgs10
Regular Contributor

Use shopdiscover to stack up extra Dollars.Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@Ortz33__ wrote:

It depends on how the merchant codes the purchase. I have sometimes used my Discover card to pay for something online, only to find that the merchant coded it as a "manually keyed" POS purchase instead.

Message 5 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@Ortz33__ wrote:

It depends on how the merchant codes the purchase. I have sometimes used my Discover card to pay for something online, only to find that the merchant coded it as a "manually keyed" POS purchase instead.

And also, I don't think "warehouse" or "discount stores" count either, which means no walmart, costco, BJs, sam's club AFAIK Smiley Tongue 

might be mistaken. 

Message 6 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

It is ANY online purchase.  Call or chat with Discover to confirm. 

Tip: Wait until OCT 26th to get the extra 2% that stacks with both ShopDiscover and the bonus category  5%. The extra 2% might be YMMV.

If you shop online on Oct 26th for the extra 2%, you will likely have to call Discover to make sure they give you the 2%. Even though you buy online on that day, the date will come through as whatever the merchant says.....which often is the ship date. So....your date will likely NOT come through for the 26th.

Before the last 2% date, I called Discover to ask if my purchases would still count, even though the merchant would use their own date. I was assured by Discover that it would count. Well...that was a lie. After my Oct. 6th online purchases I called Discover because nothing on my statement indicated that these purchases were made Oct. 6th. They said they would "adjust" my account so that I got the 2%. They said they didn't have a way to track when the purchase was actually made and that we would all have to call in if the date didn't end up showing on the purchase date.

Typical Discover....

Message 7 of 9
cam006
Contributor

I saw the 5% when I signed on to my Discover account today...there was a button to sign up.  Do you have to sign up now or should I wait until Oct 26th?  I just got my card so I don't know how the "specials" work.  I'm planning to do some online shopping for Christmas.  Do they do any additional cash back specials for the holidays?

7/11/08: EQ: 635, TU: 658, EX: 607
10/10: TU 634, EQ 626, Ex 626
9/14/2012: TU 622, EQ 660
10/16/2012: TU 731, EQ 706 - finally on my way!
Message 8 of 9
amac373
Established Member

Does anybody know if an online bill pay would count as a 5% online purchase. I need to pay my car insurance through Geico and would love 5% back on that nice chunk of change.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.