Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover $500 Cashback Special Offer

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Discover $500 Cashback Special Offer

Yesterday I got an offer from Discover in the mail offering me $500 Cashback if I spend $3,000/mo in the months of Dec., Jan., Feb., Mar., Apr.

On the surface it seems like a good deal, but it really is only ~3.3% Cashback!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
colindidit
Established Contributor

Re: Discover $500 Cashback Special Offer

I would be the one to jump at that offer but I'm really itching for a discover but I never have any luck.. It seems like every time my credit goes up I still have to wait the six months or so to apply and by that time it's not as good lol. But I'd do it although I'm biased and envious
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 2 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@scientifics wrote:

Yesterday I got an offer from Discover in the mail offering me $500 Cashback if I spend $3,000/mo in the months of Dec., Jan., Feb., Mar., Apr.

I got this offer, but I thought about it and I didn't want to commit to spending that much money every month for 5 months...   seems unrealistic!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 9
lithium78
Established Contributor

I typically don't put $3000/mo on all my credit cards combined.  Expecting me to do that for five months straight is completely unrealistic.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
RonDawg
Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

Am I reading that right?  They are really asking you to put 3k on your card every month for the next 5 months to get $500?

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 5 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Yes they are. I got the offer also. It says you have to sign up to participate and then spend $3K each month. As the poster above said I don't put that much through my cards in a normal month, so I simply shredded it. It's a great offer for those whose spend equals to it. Even at 3% plus it would be a reasonable rewards return for spending you were doing anyway.

I don't believe this is a highly targeted offer as my normal spend on discover is in the 200 - 300 dollar range and PIF.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 9
RonDawg
Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Yes they are. I got the offer also. It says you have to sign up to participate and then spend $3K each month. As the poster above said I don't put that much through my cards in a normal month, so I simply shredded it. It's a great offer for those whose spend equals to it. Even at 3% plus it would be a reasonable rewards return for spending you were doing anyway.

I don't believe this is a highly targeted offer as my normal spend on discover is in the 200 - 300 dollar range and PIF.

oh good lord, there is no way I could even think to push that much through on any of my accounts.  Besides i would have to take away from my Cash + card and I know I will get cash back from that card Smiley Wink

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are they insane?
Message 8 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

lol i was sure this was a typo or i read it wrong but i guess not, I don't know anyone who pushes $15,000 through Discover over a few months, Amex and Chase cards maybe but Discover benefits are still mostly subprime compared to other cards, with the Freedom in the Trifecta destroys Discover more or it card already.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.