cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover: ANY collection makes CLI a nonstarter?

tag
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

Discover: ANY collection makes CLI a nonstarter?

so I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get my abject $1,500 credit limit with Discover up to a measly $3,000, but to no avail. I've been a cardholder for 10 years and currently have a FICO above 700. Could it be that Discover simply does not raise credi tlimits on customers with chargeoffs (on other cards)? I have a chargeoff with Capital One and a medical collection dating to 2009, both have been paid off.

How can I get a manual review?

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Discover: ANY collection makes CLI a nonstarter?

@hateAshbury wrote:

so I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get my abject $1,500 credit limit with Discover up to a measly $3,000, but to no avail. I've been a cardholder for 10 years and currently have a FICO above 700. Could it be that Discover simply does not raise credi tlimits on customers with chargeoffs (on other cards)? I have a chargeoff with Capital One and a medical collection dating to 2009, both have been paid off.

How can I get a manual review?

Try the Hippa process to get the paid medical collections removed, google whychat hippa and you'll find it, it'll remove paid collections 100% of the time if you do it right. Also with Capital One try sending goodwills to the excutive office stating that you've screwed up but you paid back and would love to do business with them again etc, capital one is a hard nut to crack with charge offs though.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 3
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Discover: ANY collection makes CLI a nonstarter?

Based on my experience I don't believe that it's impossible to get a CLI from Discover with charge offs on your reports (although I can't speak for CC charge offs specifically).  I got approved for Discover More on 4/23/12 with a starting limit of $1000 and several 5+ year old charge offs/collections (including CC charge offs) on my account.  I immediately BT'd $900 to the card and paid it off over the course of 4 months (about $250 at a time except for the last one) and then I let the card sit.

On 10/24 I noticed a CLI, only of $300 - but still it was done without my request and without a hard pull so I can't complain.  At the time I still had (and still have) one paid CO and 2 collections reporting - all of which are due off in less than 2 years.

So I can't say why they're being so difficult with you, but I can say that it's not impossible to get a CLI with COs/collections on your current report.  Good luck!

The only thing I can think of, is that at the time of the CLI, none of my derogs were actually related to revolving credit.  The Paid CO is related to the Dept of Edu. (was less than $500) and the collections are cell phone and apartment related ($1000 total) - so maybe the Capital One CO is the issue?

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.