Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover APR Reduction (By mail)

tag
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

Discover APR Reduction (By mail)

I recently requested an APR reduction with Discover. I just received the letter today and intend to fill it out and send it in. My only issue is there is a stipulation on the form that states the account must be active for at least 12mos. I've only had them for 7 so 5 months until the 1yr anniversary. Has anyone that went with the mail-in route been successful with a sub 12 month account? I called cs this afternoon and raised this concern. While I received excellent support, she still seemed a little confused as to if it would work. I'm sending it either way I'm just trying to gauge success/failures.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover APR Reduction (By mail)

The form is only mailed to eligible accounts, otherwise the letter would say that your account hasn't been opened long enough, is at the lowest rate available, etc. So it's a good sign and I'm sure you will get a reduction. The wording is probably just outdated.

Message 2 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Interesting. I requested one and received the form. I've only had my card since January, guess I better send it back.
Message 3 of 13
gdub
Established Member

I also received the form and mailed it back and was given an APR reduction from Discover, and I had the same confusion over that statement about the 12 months. I believe if you re-read it, you may find it actually says the card has NOT been active for 12 months, meaning it is less than a year old. The wording is confusing but I'm pretty sure that's what it says when you really decipher their wording. I don't have the form any more to remember exactly what it said since I mailed it back already.
Message 4 of 13
Justin9825

I had the same confusion just this last month. Requested lower APR but account was only open for 9 or so months. Sent form back anyways. Recieved message in online account that my APR had been reduced from 22.9 to 16.99. Not as low as I wanted but been rebuilding my credit for a while so nice to have a card not over 20 APR.

Message 5 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I just dropped mine off at the post office. Fingers crossed.
Message 6 of 13
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll be sending mine off tomorrow.

Message 7 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

***UPDATE****

Had two emails this morning from Discover. The first one congratulating me and lowering my APR to 16.99%. The second one lowering my APR to 14.99%. Obviously, I'll be keeping an eye on my statements.

Thanks again mxp for clarifying their badly worded form!
Message 9 of 13
john398
Senior Contributor

Congrats Lexie thats an Awesome APR

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.