Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover APR Reduction Counter Offer

tag
C6Guy
Established Member

Discover APR Reduction Counter Offer

So I'm sitting at the dread 22% interest rate with my discover it. I had it for 10 months and was NOT approved with the introductory terms. So today I call to see if they could offer me an apr reduction and the rep told me they couldn't but they could offer me 0% on new purchases for a year. Looks like my Discover IT will be getting mad use again Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover APR Reduction Counter Offer

@C6Guy wrote:
So I'm sitting at the dread 22% interest rate with my discover it. I had it for 10 months and was NOT approved with the introductory terms. So today I call to see if they could offer me an apr reduction and the rep told me they couldn't but they could offer me 0% on new purchases for a year. Looks like my Discover IT will be getting mad use again Smiley Happy

They been doing a lot of that of late i noticed. Gonna take my turn after i PIF current balance when i'm done giving them more spend this month LoL

Message 2 of 11
C6Guy
Established Member

Oh yea, from what I think all they want is for the client to use them well and give them time. I'm still not thrilled having the higher apr since I have a working theory that the approval algorithms take in to account current aprs as part of the equation. But for now 0% financing will do me well! Hope more people call in and maybe they'll get a nice treat too!!
Message 3 of 11
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@C6Guy wrote:
Oh yea, from what I think all they want is for the client to use them well and give them time. I'm still not thrilled having the higher apr since I have a working theory that the approval algorithms take in to account current aprs as part of the equation. But for now 0% financing will do me well! Hope more people call in and maybe they'll get a nice treat too!!

I mean I hate to break your theory, but other creditors have 0 idea what your APR other places. Discover has no idea (and probably doesn't care) what rate billy bob's best bangin' rater is. As I and other posters discussed on another thread last night, the apr is part of a bank's risk mitigation. Discover's algoritm might rate you high risk, and you could then apply at Citi and be offered lowest available. 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 4 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

In all fairness to Discover my profile at the time of their preapproval mailer was 22.99% worthy Smiley Frustrated

But not anymore Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@C6Guy wrote:

What approval algorithms?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 11
C6Guy
Established Member

I would assume that all credit card companies have a specific formula to qualify individuals. My idea is that said formulas look at your credit reports and extrapolate information from it. For the most part payment history etc. average credit lines and I think the aprs are also factored in. Don't have proof of it. But it only makes sense to offer an apr at either a lower or equal level to your competitors. Of Course this is based on observation I made from my own case. Another poster said it's based on their own internal risk assessment which I'm sure is part of it. But for the most part I think what competitors are charging at least for me if I was trying to compete would be something I would use to determine a competitive interest rate.
Message 7 of 11
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@C6Guy wrote:
I would assume that all credit card companies have a specific formula to qualify individuals. My idea is that said formulas look at your credit reports and extrapolate information from it. For the most part payment history etc. average credit lines and I think the aprs are also factored in. Don't have proof of it. But it only makes sense to offer an apr at either a lower or equal level to your competitors. Of Course this is based on observation I made from my own case. Another poster said it's based on their own internal risk assessment which I'm sure is part of it. But for the most part I think what competitors are charging at least for me if I was trying to compete would be something I would use to determine a competitive interest rate.

But see why would Barclays offer me 13.99 on SM, me use it heavily, PIF, and perfect payment history for 13 months, then when I app for US it was 24.99

This isn't even looking at outside bank info, this is something they definitely had access to. They judged me to be a higher risk than previously.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 8 of 11
C6Guy
Established Member

I wouldn't be able to answer your question as two differing aprs with the same card company if you're record remained entirely the same. However if you applied for newer cards or if your inquiries had gone up dramatically or if your utilization had gone up that in itself would lead for a high apr. the risk of default being higher with any of those metrics showing. However say the record is clean and no apps have been done and the record is the same from what I have seen wjth my cards most companies will be in the same ape range. I'll eventually cut older rebuilders and when I have an app spree I'll be able to test if that's the case. Of course like I said it's just conjecture.
Message 9 of 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@C6Guy wrote:

The problem is that APR is not on your credit reports. So only you and the company that issued your card know that value.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.