cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover APR Reduction -- a nice surprise!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover APR Reduction -- a nice surprise!

My scores have gone up and I've waiting patiently for August, when I go under 5/24. So, I'm getting my kicks with APR reductions.

My Amex BCP is 24.24% -- which is absurd... and they refuse to lower it. So, I went to Discover (which is 15.49%) and asked what they could do. It took her 5-10 minutes, and when she came back she offered me 0% for 12 months!! I've had the card for almost 3 years.

Just a friendly reminder that it's always worth asking... your results may exceed your expectations! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover APR Reduction -- a nice surprise!

JDT got APR rdx from DCS, NOICESmiley Happy
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Discover offer! I got that one as well a month or so ago. I always get the same response from Amex too, it's annoying, but I do pay it off so I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

My scores have gone up and I've waiting patiently for August, when I go under 5/24. So, I'm getting my kicks with APR reductions.

My Amex BCP is 24.24% -- which is absurd... and they refuse to lower it. So, I went to Discover (which is 15.49%) and asked what they could do. It took her 5-10 minutes, and when she came back she offered me 0% for 12 months!! I've had the card for almost 3 years.

Just a friendly reminder that it's always worth asking... your results may exceed your expectations! Smiley Happy

That's how they get you.  They're hoping you'll choose the 0% as there's a higher liklihood you'll end up carrying a balance.  When they make the offer of 0% there's usually also an offer to permanently lower your interest rate.  If you accept the 0% for 12 months offer they will not consider a permanent interest rate reduction until after the promo offer has expired.

Smarter money is to lower the interest rate as low as it'll go.  Then, after you have the lowest interest rate, accept a 0% interest offer.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate low interest rates on all of my cards and want them to RAISE my APRs in hopes they'll do it to anyone paying interest.

Someone has to pay for this cashback I'm hoarding.  Maybe I'll call Discover and ask for a 36% APR...

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I hate low interest rates on all of my cards and want them to RAISE my APRs in hopes they'll do it to anyone paying interest.

Someone has to pay for this cashback I'm hoarding.  Maybe I'll call Discover and ask for a 36% APR...

Consider PC-ing it to a First Premier card...

Message 6 of 7
arkane
Established Contributor

I wouldn't mind an APR increase if they also increased my credit limit. Smiley LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.