Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover APR Reduction to 0% for 12 months

tag
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

Discover APR Reduction to 0% for 12 months

Just got this from an online chat.

When I got the card a year ago, my credit scores and profile were significantly worse, I was probably a borderline approval.  Initial CL was $1800.

In the meantime, CL has gone up to $11,300.  Decided to check on APR today after last two CLI requests were turned down with "not enough experience at current credit line".

They offered either a general rate reduction to 18% (from 23%) or a 12-month 0% APR.  I think the 0% APR for 12 months is the standard initial offer for people with better credit (which I didn't get) ... anyway, I took that and will try to reduce the rate again in a year.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover APR Reduction to 0% for 12 months

Awesome congrats. Great job on the 0% bonus and your progress on your scores!

Message 2 of 8
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Sweet good 4 U !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 3 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@JayTee1 wrote:

When I got the card a year ago, my credit scores and profile were significantly worse, I was probably a borderline approval.  Initial CL was $1800.

In the meantime, CL has gone up to $11,300.  Decided to check on APR today after last two CLI requests were turned down with "not enough experience at current credit line".

They offered either a general rate reduction to 18% (from 23%) or a 12-month 0% APR.  I think the 0% APR for 12 months is the standard initial offer for people with better credit (which I didn't get) ... anyway, I took that and will try to reduce the rate again in a year.

Thats great..

My silly question, how often are you checking for CLI requests?

Not enough experience usually means you havent waited long enough between requests....

I used to be on the 30-31 day cycle... might have to space it out to every 60 or so days (currently how my Disco CLIs work) and if that still gets the not enough exp, try every 90 days...

Folks think discover doesnt make any sense..  cant give you a clue to the amounts youll get but they usually have a pattern on when...

Also what is your FICO score in the discover app itself?

When they give you your score,, you bet they are going to use it internally as well...

-J

Message 4 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

@JayTee1 wrote:

Thats great..

Not enough experience usually means you havent waited long enough between requests....

I used to be on the 30-31 day cycle... might have to space it out to every 60 or so days (currently how my Disco CLIs work) and if that still gets the not enough exp, try every 90 days...

Folks think discover doesnt make any sense..  cant give you a clue to the amounts youll get but they usually have a pattern on when...

When they give you your score,, you bet they are going to use it internally as well...

-J

I have some mixed thoughts on this one.  Havnig been through the reduction scenario before.  Personally since PIF every month the rate doesn't really matter since they're not going to get any money out of it anyway.  However I try to keep the perm rates as low as possible in the event that I do actually have to carry a balance.  I would have taken the 5% reduction instead of the 0% for this reason.... I asked for my reduction and got denied for the perm and got the 0% offer.  I guess my score and lack of interest were to blame.

Anyway... you'll usually see the insuff exp excuse if you're hitting the button too closely in time.  For some it works every 30 days and other every 90 days... kind of depends on what mood Disco is in that week.  Also, keep in mind if you're getting 2-days every time you hit it that someone is actually looking at the request.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/td-p/4802538

Message 5 of 8
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

@JayTee1 wrote:

Thats great..

-J

They've given me from $500 to $2k or $3k at a time (I think even over $4k once) ... it varies, sometimes before 30 days are up, and sometimes at 60 days.  My first increase was at 60 days.  

I haven't kept careful track.  It's gone from $1800 to $11,300 within a year, so I have no complaints.

Message 6 of 8
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

@JayTee1 wrote:

Thats great..

-J

I have some mixed thoughts on this one.  Havnig been through the reduction scenario before.  Personally since PIF every month the rate doesn't really matter since they're not going to get any money out of it anyway.  However I try to keep the perm rates as low as possible in the event that I do actually have to carry a balance.  I would have taken the 5% reduction instead of the 0% for this reason.... I asked for my reduction and got denied for the perm and got the 0% offer.  I guess my score and lack of interest were to blame.

Anyway... you'll usually see the insuff exp excuse if you're hitting the button too closely in time.  For some it works every 30 days and other every 90 days... kind of depends on what mood Disco is in that week.  Also, keep in mind if you're getting 2-days every time you hit it that someone is actually looking at the request.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/td-p/4802538

I pay in full every month, but I'm closing on a new condo on 4/1, and I welcome the 0%.  I will definitely be  spending several thousand on furniture and other sundry items, and if I can throw it on a 0% discover rather than getting a furniture card, I will.  I also checked, and the rep told me there's nothing stopping me from getting a lower rate after the 0% promo offer is over (assuming my credit is still as good as it looks now, or better), so I opted for the 0%.

As far as CLIs, I've gotten the 2-day message every time I've asked except for the first $500 CLI.  I realize that's a manual review, but they don't seem to be bothered by it.  I've asked a rep if asking monthly is too often, and they've told me "nope".

Message 7 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@JayTee1 wrote:

I pay in full every month, but I'm closing on a new condo on 4/1, and I welcome the 0%.  I will definitely be  spending several thousand on furniture and other sundry items, and if I can throw it on a 0% discover rather than getting a furniture card, I will.  I also checked, and the rep told me there's nothing stopping me from getting a lower rate after the 0% promo offer is over (assuming my credit is still as good as it looks now, or better), so I opted for the 0%.

As far as CLIs, I've gotten the 2-day message every time I've asked except for the first $500 CLI.  I realize that's a manual review, but they don't seem to be bothered by it.  I've asked a rep if asking monthly is too often, and they've told me "nope".

Planning is a great thing to see.  Favoring a 0% period over opening a new account is a great thing!  Requesting and succeeding are different POV when it comes to Disco.  Seems they put you into the review bucket like they did me after that first success.  I don't mind the 2-days unless they fall on a weekend then I get a bit itchy about it since I know it won't get processed until the following week.  Spacing them out to 60 days or so lessens the result of $0 increase though.  I did a quick calculation before shifting to a 60 day spread and my reuslts prior were 2-3K/CLI which is about 12-18K/yr and shifting to the longer period has been 3x6K at this point which comes out to 36K/yr in CLI's.  I was thinking maybe the trend wouldn't extend past 1 or 2 at 6K but then this month the 3rd one went through like clockwork.  Who knows though what the next one in April will result in as some have hit 6K 3-5 times and then get hit with a $500 or something oddball like that.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.