Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover APR reduction?

tag
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

Discover APR reduction?

My fiancee opened a Discover card that we use, and the intro APR is set to run out in in June of 2014. We sometimes carry a balance on the card, and they said that the ongoing rate will be 22.9% (Ouch!). Has anyone had success getting them to reduce their rate?
Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Discover APR reduction?

@MACFRME wrote:
My fiancee opened a Discover card that we use, and the intro APR is set to run out in in June of 2014. We sometimes carry a balance on the card, and they said that the ongoing rate will be 22.9% (Ouch!). Has anyone had success getting them to reduce their rate?

Yes, you can request an APR reduction every 6 mos

Message 2 of 12
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@MACFRME wrote:

That does not take the place of asking for a CLI, does it? I would assume not, but you never know.

Message 3 of 12
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

Thanks 09Lexie!
Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 4 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@azguy13 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@MACFRME wrote:

That does not take the place of asking for a CLI, does it? I would assume not, but you never know.

No, it will not take the place of a CLICLI

Message 5 of 12
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@MACFRME wrote:

great...that is good to know. I tried it at the end of my 14months 0% promo and it of course got declined Smiley Happy ..expected as CLI was also declined at that stage...so will try again in 6 months and keep on doing so every 6 months until it moves from 17,99% to the targeted 10,99%.. ha ha... Good luck OP Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I also want to put it out there that they sometimes have offers for you to have a 0% for 6 months as well if anyone already has the lowest APR offered. Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 12
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

When I first opened my account, I did not qualify for the advertised 6 month 0% interest rate promo.  

Discover countered with a 1K limit, 3 month teaser 0% intro rate and a rate of upwards of 20% therafter.  The first few months I ran thousands of dollars in charges through the card and paid it off before the billing cycle closed.  I was able to utilize this as leverage to score a 5K credit limit increase at 90 days.  

Unfortunately, they have not been so forgiving with the intrest rate.  I have requested a lower interest rate on several occassions.  The last representative suggested that I try again when my account is 1 year old.  In the interim, every other month I use the card for a big purchase and then pay the balance in full.  I refuse to pay a +20% intrerest rate.  

Message 8 of 12
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

@JAY305 wrote:

When I first opened my account, I did not qualify for the advertised 6 month 0% interest rate promo.  

Discover countered with a 1K limit, 3 month teaser 0% intro rate and a rate of upwards of 20% therafter.  The first few months I ran thousands of dollars in charges through the card and paid it off before the billing cycle closed.  I was able to utilize this as leverage to score a 5K credit limit increase at 90 days.  

Unfortunately, they have not been so forgiving with the intrest rate.  I have requested a lower interest rate on several occassions.  The last representative suggested that I try again when my account is 1 year old.  In the interim, every other month I use the card for a big purchase and then pay the balance in full.  I refuse to pay a +20% intrerest rate.  

I just received my IT card the other day and called immediately when I saw 22.99% APR after the intor 0%.  CSR also told me to try back in a year or so or pehaps right as the 0% expires.  I may try every six months.

Similar to others here, I'm not too concerned about the rate as this card will always be PIF.  I just don't like the idea of one card in my wallet having a rate nearly 10 points higher than every other card.

Last HP: 01/10/19 | Latest Scores: EQ FICO8 - 850 | TU FICO8 - 850 | EX FICO8 - 850
Amex BC | Amex HHonors | Amex HHonors Aspire | Amex Marriott Business | Amex Platinum | BoA Alaska Airlines | CF | CFU | CSR | Chase Ink+ | Citi DC | Citi AA UP | Discover IT
Message 9 of 12
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@WillTeasle wrote:

@JAY305 wrote:

I just received my IT card the other day and called immediately when I saw 22.99% APR after the intor 0%.  CSR also told me to try back in a year or so or pehaps right as the 0% expires.  I may try every six months.

Similar to others here, I'm not too concerned about the rate as this card will always be PIF.  I just don't like the idea of one card in my wallet having a rate nearly 10 points higher than every other card.

I don't think any card company can do APR reductions while any promotion is current. However, the day my promo ended Discover gave me a CLI and APR reduction in the same phone call. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.