Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Account Mystery

tag
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

Discover Account Mystery

So I've posted before about my awful luck with discover and CLIs. I have had the card four years and am still at my SL of 500.

When I got the card, it was a Discover student card and still should be because I never changed by employment.

I have always kept my income updated as well as kept my student status through undergrad and now grad school.

I wanted to take advantage of this and the good grade cash back bonus ($20) since I've been stuck in this bucket. 

I go to submit my app for a bonus and can't! It says I am not a student. 

This further leads me to believe that Discover has no idea what is going on with my account. 

Has anything else happened to someone similar?

I plan on contacting CS in a month when I want to try again for a CLI that way I can explain everything to them with better scores once everything reports and hopefully get my cashback and a healthy CLI. I feel like I enjoy no perks with Discover, which is sad because I love the categories and CS. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Account Mystery

You can only get the good student bonus 5 times. If you'd had the card for 4 years it's possible that you already were at your limit. I also have their student version and got 2 bonuses within 4 months of having the card. And I've had 4 or 5 CLIs since I've gotten the card so it's totally possible to get s nice limit while it still being a student card.
Message 2 of 6
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

I've never gotten the bonus. I didn't know it existed until recently (poor research on part) and it was never given to me otherwise. I double checked what I had earned in cashback. 

I have heard others too who get great CLI while it being a student card but I have been absolutely stagnant. It is so frustrating, especially when I would make it my everyday card if I had a limit high enough to not have to make 5 payments a months.

I apologize for my rant. 

Message 3 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With Discover , no need to apologize for a rant lolSmiley Wink. If youve had this card 4 years and still at 500, you definitely seem bracketed. I would check their prequal page and you might think of applying for a new It card and get the double cash back bonus 1st year. This is one card that brings out the highs and lows of having credit with them, believe me, ive experienced it too . Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

I have tried that and was denied for already having a card with them.
I figured this was because i thought I had a student card but it appears I don’t. Crazy eh?

Message 5 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

As someone with a joint account, I can understand the CLI frustration. We got a CLI the one time we asked, but it was a very long process over the phone.

Maybe the bonus not only has a 5x use limit (assuming ALK11 is right, I don't know about this feature) but also a limited lifetime? If you got the card four years ago, Discover may (quite reasonably) feel your qualifying time is up if the perk is geared towards full-time undergraduates.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.