Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Activation

tag
2011beginnings
Frequent Contributor

Discover Activation

Just called to activate an authorized user card that I requested. The rep was exceptional. Started by telling me she was pulling up my account without asking for the account numbers, my social or anything...just my name.

Finally she only asked for three digits on the back of the card and it was all active.

How did she know who I was just based on that little information? Did it have something to do with the number I called? Was that my own special line? Haha
PenFed AMEX: $5500 | AMEX BCE: $8300 | AMEX E: $5000 | BofA BBR: $5000 | Discover It: $6500 | CSP: $11500 | CF: $5500 | Citi DIVIDEND: $5700 | CITI TYP: $4600 | BofA CR: $7500 | CAP ONE Q: $3000 |

TU: 722 / EX: 763 / EQ: 735
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Activation

I think their system finds you by your phone number if the phone is also associated with the account.

But ya, Discover always makes me feel ** speshal ** when I call Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 5
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

+1 That's mostly how it's done, by auto phone number link up to account on file.  If that doesn't match, then different verification info is requested

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

+1 That's mostly how it's done, by auto phone number link up to account on file.  If that doesn't match, then different verification info is requested

Amex has been doing it for years which is why I have always been irritated by the banks that ask enough security questions that I feel like I'm applying again... If my account is going to be fraud, I'm not worried about them calling in to ask to make a payment!!!

Worry about charges, not phone calls... although even GE is starting to get better about this if the system matches phone it skips some extra steps but I actually called Discover earlier also and being able to connect to AZ in under 15 seconds to speak to a live person was AMAZING!

Now if they would just issue Credit Line Increases more often and with less HP! haha

Message 4 of 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

All about phone number.

This happens with my paypal smart connect too. For a while paypal wouldnt let me add a bank account so I would pay through the automated phone service. When I called it would just be like "For security, we have matched the number you're calling from to your account...."

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.