Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover, AmEx,Chase, Citi

tag
BT90138016
Contributor

Discover, AmEx,Chase, Citi

Who else is having a hard time getting approved by discover? I'm pretty sure my scores due to my balances, inquiries and newly opened cards has something to do with it but who else other than me is having a hard time getting approved by them? What are you doing to better your chances of getting the card you want??? I want a Discover and AmEx eventually. Idk if I'm black listed by Chase and Citi due to charge-offs years ago but I can't get in with them either....Yet. I'm currently paying off all of my cards and letting my recent inquiries and opened accounts age. I have two cards that will be two years old this year and one or two will be hitting the one year mark towards the end of the year.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover, AmEx,Chase, Citi

Discover can be strange at least for me they was I got approved for the IT card last February for $1400 SL with a 620 score and only a credit one card that was a month old lots of baddies on report
Message 2 of 11
BT90138016
Contributor

@Tomgon1981 wrote:
Discover can be strange at least for me they was I got approved for the IT card last February for $1400 SL with a 620 score and only a credit one card that was a month old lots of baddies on report

How old were the baddies if you don't mind me asking? With a 620 score(better than my current score) I'd probably get approved but my balances were right on the edge of being all maxed out. Only thing saving me I think is my Fingerhut account which I've yet to use. I have some closed collections and two late payments on one of my car payments. Oddly enough I think it was because I moved around the same time two years in a row.

Message 3 of 11
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried the discover pre qual link most all of my baddies was 3-5 yrs old I only had 5 inquiries as well that probably helped out you never can tell it could've even been my oldest account was 13 years old when I apped
Message 4 of 11
BT90138016
Contributor

@Tomgon1981 wrote:
Have you tried the discover pre qual link most all of my baddies was 3-5 yrs old I only had 5 inquiries as well that probably helped out you never can tell it could've even been my oldest account was 13 years old when I apped

Yep!! Suggested the DiscoverIt card. I applied and was denied. Too many inquiries, baddies too new and revolving balances too high basically. I'm tying to se myself up for an approval whenever I decide to apply again though. I figure if I pay my balances down to zero and auto draft a few cards one transaction per month per card and PIF, don't apply for any new credit for a while and knock off a few loans to free up some extra cash I should get in there sooner than later....If my baddies aren't still too new for them.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tomgon1981 wrote:

Never recommend the Discover pre approval site.  It's completely worthless.

Message 6 of 11
BT90138016
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tomgon1981 wrote:

I've heard the same thing....

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Always, always, always recon Discover.  You'll very likely get approved.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BT90138016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tomgon1981 wrote:

I've heard the same thing....

But you insisted on applying? 

Good ol Nixon told me to enter First name: Mickey Last name: Mouse, use SSN 1234 and mickey qualifies for the Discover IT card as well..

but on a serious note, Discover has yet to approve me.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think Discover would have a 2.4 percent charge off rate -- the lowest in the industry -- if they approved Mickey Mouse.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.