cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover App Denied, possibly blacklisted- Recon?

tag
Carryon06

Discover App Denied, possibly blacklisted- Recon?

Hi! I am new to the forum. I recently applied for Discover It and was quickly denied.

A little backstory: I got my first credit card (Discover) when I was 19, in college (young, dumb, and reckless!). Due to my irresponsible behavior, I maxed out my card and ended up missing payments. Eventually the account was charged off (this is no longer on my credit report).

Fast forward 8 yrs later, I decided to pull the trigger and app for Discover it, as I am in a much better place financially and overall. I can't say I'm too surprised about getting denied but was wondering would it do any good to recon? I have a fico score of 663.

Should I wait a few more years? Or does Discover ever forgive and forget?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
mccrcamd
Valued Member

Re: Discover App Denied, possibly blacklisted- Recon?

my scores was 663 on TU and Ex and 6fifty something EQ last month when they approved me. May need to call them and find out the reasoning 

Current myFICO scoresSmiley SadEQ) 663 | (TU) 695 | (EX) 684
Goal scores: 750+ (all 3) Updated: 4-8-2015
Cards: Ritz-Carlton Rewards $8500, BBVA Compas NBA Amex $8000, Security Service Federal CU $7500, Chase Sapphire $7000, Overstock $5900, BBVA Clear Points $5000, Disvocer It $3700, Chase Freedom $3500, Barclay Rewards $2500, Capital One Platinum $1750, Capital One QS $1000, American Express Everday $1000, Sams Visa $737, Walmart $500, Home Depot $500, Cabelas (still haven't received in the mail)
Message 2 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Carryon06 wrote:
Hi! I am new to the forum. I recently applied for Discover It and was quickly denied.

A little backstory: I got my first credit card (Discover) when I was 19, in college (young, dumb, and reckless!). Due to my irresponsible behavior, I maxed out my card and ended up missing payments. Eventually the account was charged off (this is no longer on my credit report).

Fast forward 8 yrs later, I decided to pull the trigger and app for Discover it, as I am in a much better place financially and overall. I can't say I'm too surprised about getting denied but was wondering would it do any good to recon? I have a fico score of 663.

Discover does not keep a perm BL most get back in, call in and get the reasoning and if its not BL related recon the app.

Message 3 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Carryon06 wrote:

It wouldn't hurt to recon.   I think your TU score might be a little lowish for them, but you might want to search approvals here to see.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 17
39Xelor
Established Member

Did you ever satisfy the debt owed to Discover? Just because the derog fell off of your reports doesn’t mean that Discover has forgotten! They can very well prevent you from obtaining any new credit with them until the debt is paid in full. I have seen others who have owed Discover money from years prior and never paid and were still approved for a new card many years later, but it’s rare. Moral of this story, if you owe money, pay it and do your best to get back into good graces with them! Good luck Smiley Happy

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 5 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Carryon06 wrote:

I would call for a recon.

Keep us updated!

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 17
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Carryon06 wrote:

You already have a hard pull for it so what do you got to lose?

I was approved for IT on 4/12 with 22 months BK 7 reporting.

Been clean since.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 7 of 17
jim44
Established Contributor

While on this subject, I joined Credit Karma a week ago and the Discover It ad popped up encouraging me to apply. I'm four years out of Chapter 7 and Discover was unfortunately listed. Any IIBK accounts have dropped off TU, but of course the BK will still report for 6 more years. I've seen other posts about Discover blacklists with CO accts....... I imagine it will be the same for Chap 7. Does anyone have any recent experiences?

Message 8 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Carryon06 wrote:
this is no longer on my credit report

Falling off your report doesn't make a debt cease to exist.  Generally pseaking, if you want to get back in with a creditor that you burned then you will need to settle your debt with that creditor regardless of whether it fell of your report or not.

Think of it this way -- would you loan a siginifcant amount of money to someone who previously borrowed a significant amount and ran off and never repaid you?

Message 9 of 17
coterotie
Established Contributor

This may be correct in somewhat general terms, but some creditors don't seem to care.

Cap1 as an example.  I burned them multiple times, but now they have financed 2 cars and I have a couple of Cap1 cards.  Chase I burned a while ago, and have a 6K limit with themm now.

AMEX has a reputation of having a long memory, but recent trends indicate that memory may be shortening somewhat.  I recently applied and the denial was for score, not for previous experience with them and it was a hard pull which most indicate is only done if your are NOT on the blacklist.

Have no experience with Discover as they hate me from a long time back even though I have never had a card with them. 

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Carryon06 wrote:
this is no longer on my credit report

Falling off your report doesn't make a debt cease to exist.  Generally pseaking, if you want to get back in with a creditor that you burned then you will need to settle your debt with that creditor regardless of whether it fell of your report or not.

Think of it this way -- would you loan a siginifcant amount of money to someone who previously borrowed a significant amount and ran off and never repaid you?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.