cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover App

Frequent Contributor

Discover App

Im thinking about apping for Discover in June once my new balances post this month. Im a 20 year old college student, I will be apping for the regular more card because my school is ineligible since its a 2 year community college for the student card. My TU Fico is 680. 17 accounts, 6 inquiries in the past 6 months, 12 in the past 12 months. Utilization is 16% currently but will be 6% when balances post to CB and hoping to shoot my score up to 700+ when they do post. No baddies AAoA 10 months. I have a lot of recently opened accounts. Do you think I have a good shot at getting approved?

amazon
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover App

tsquad131 wrote:

Im thinking about apping for Discover in June once my new balances post this month. Im a 20 year old college student, I will be apping for the regular more card because my school is ineligible since its a 2 year community college for the student card. My TU Fico is 680. 17 accounts, 6 inquiries in the past 6 months, 12 in the past 12 months. Utilization is 16% currently but will be 6% when balances post to CB and hoping to shoot my score up to 700+ when they do post. No baddies AAoA 10 months. I have a lot of recently opened accounts. Do you think I have a good shot at getting approved?

With these ... may not ...

Anyone is able to tell you "Yes" or "No"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's very tough with small income ~ The Rewards are big little helper to me.
Message 2 of 14
Established Member

I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you need this card for? 17 accounts is a lot.... That can easily get out of hand quickly.

Message 3 of 14
Frequent Contributor

a lot of them are store cards that I used for 0% interest financing deals that I paid off already and use them occasionally for store discounts. Im looking to get rid of a couple accounts with no rewards in a couple months once I pay off the cards that have a small balance from my 0% interest deals

amazon
Message 4 of 14
Super Contributor

tsquad131 wrote:

How many of those 16 accounts are credit cards? 

Message 5 of 14
Frequent Contributor

7 are bank cards the others are store cards

amazon
Message 6 of 14
Valued Contributor

tsquad131 wrote:

Wow, 17 accounts,  IMO,  this seems like a lot of accounts to me.  But then, I am a simple man with simple needs.  I only have 3 accounts, but use only one.  At my age, I need to keep everything simple.  Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08
TU 839 11/11/17
EX 833 11/11/17
EQ 837 11/12/17
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 42k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 5/15
Message 7 of 14
Super Contributor

Your chances of getting approved is less than 1%.  You'd have to pay down balances, let accounts mature, wait for inquries to fall off and close unnecessary accounts.   You're looking at about 2 yrs before apping for a Discover card.   

Message 8 of 14
Frequent Contributor

I only use 2 cards, my zync and my amazon chase rewards right now a couple of the store cards have small balances due to a 0% interest deal and I use a couple of the other bank cards that is autopaid every month for a recurring charge

amazon
Message 9 of 14
Super Contributor

tsquad131 wrote:

I only use 2 cards, my zync and my amazon chase rewards right now a couple of the store cards have small balances due to a 0% interest deal and I use a couple of the other bank cards that is autopaid every month for a recurring charge

If you feel like using an inquiry go for it.  But, I highly do not recommend apping for a Discover card at this time.  Your credit risk is just too high right now.  Good luck!

Message 10 of 14