Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover April-June 5% back on home improvement

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

Re: Discover April-June 5% back on home improvement

I've been wondering about gift cards also...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 41 of 47
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Many people here have bought gift cards. Before the BCP got capped (and this might be why it was capped), lots of us would buy a whole range of gift cards at large supermarkets, and get 6% back. And if you read other threads, people are doing this all the time when drug stores give 5% off on various card, cash plus categories etc

The exception seems to be things like vanilla reloads (which are more like cash than a gift card) and many stores now won't allow credit purchases of those
Message 42 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:
Many people here have bought gift cards. Before the BCP got capped (and this might be why it was capped), lots of us would buy a whole range of gift cards at large supermarkets, and get 6% back. And if you read other threads, people are doing this all the time when drug stores give 5% off on various card, cash plus categories etc

The exception seems to be things like vanilla reloads (which are more like cash than a gift card) and many stores now won't allow credit purchases of those

Right, pick up a $500 Visa/MC gift card from a Supermarket for $5, and receive 6% cashback on the BCP.  Use the Gift card are dubious wherever you'd prefer to appear on your Amex, Chase, or whatever card for whatever reason.

Message 43 of 47
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

For me, this will be huge.. I will be spending 1500 on home improvement in the quarter...

Wheeee~!  My husband better get ready for some painting!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 44 of 47
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

For me, this will be huge.. I will be spending 1500 on home improvement in the quarter...

Wheeee~!  My husband better get ready for some painting!

That sounds terrible.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 45 of 47
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Not sure if churning with gift cards is worse than forcing your DH to paint.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 46 of 47
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@bs6054 wrote:

I just don't get the love for rotating quarter cards.  Well, I understand that the cards can be good in themselves, but you are always at the mercy of whatever the issuer decides. 

I can see that sometimes it could be good, you suddenly get a discount on category X which no other card gives, but I suspect much more usual is the "boring quarter" complaint.  Some things have flexibility (I will wait to buy my XXX until one of my cards has that as a category) but other things you need now.

So, I much prefer the constant (till nerfed) categories of things like Citi Forward, Penfed, Amex BCP/E and, a little, Cash +.  But I guess that is a minority view

I don't like rotating quarters, but I've had the Discover so long that I'm not going to get rid of it...  I've had it since the days when it was just a straight rewards cashback %

Thats why I decided to go with Chase Amazon instead of Freedom.  Amazon card gives 3% at Amazon,  2% at drugstores, gas, and restaurants.  1% on everything else.

There is no cap on the rewards either.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.