Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Authorized User and CRA's

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Authorized User and CRA's

@alph4 wrote:

I remember hearing at one time that if the person who you are adding as an AU on the account has the same street/mailing address as you, they are able to make the connection that way.

It would make sense, but I don't remember where/when I heard this, or if this is outdated information.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense.  Mailing address was required, so that would tie to my account, since my kids live with me. 

Message 11 of 36
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@OneStepFurther wrote:

This was my experience with Discover:

I was an AU on my husband's acct in 2009, not a joint cardholder and there was never a hard pull on my report.  As an AU, it reported to all three CRAs for me as a TL with no indication that I was an AU.  I was able to set up my own Discover.com ID and password, make charges and also payments to the acct through my own personal bank acct not our joint acct.  Actually, he never used the card, it was more like my card since all charges and payments were made by me.  Unfortunately, even though I was the one that kept the account in perfect shape, got automatic $400 CLIs every 3 months, it didn't help me get in with Discover on my own.  The first time I applied, I was declined and on recon when I explained that if they checked the history of payments with the card for the last year, they'd see that all payments were made by me from my bank account, she said it couldn't be taken into consideration because I was an AU.  I eventually got in though...thank goodness!  

Edited:  My name was added on as an AU when DH applied.

Thanks much for sharing your experience, this was what I was looking for as well! 

Message 12 of 36
SAIDFICOMUSTBEASCAMLOL
Valued Member

What the rep told you is not accurate. I am on my mother's account and she resides at a different address. She added me as an AU ..called up and gave them my SSN. It has been reporting pretty much since day one which was late 2010. I recently got my own card and added my BF. I called up and give them his SSN and its reporting on his report too. 

Off the top of my head these companies will report AUs:

AMEX

Macys

Bloomingdales

Best Buy

Discover

Chase

HSBC 

Orchard

Bank of America ( worked with a secured card)

...and that's all I have experience with and can think of. I have not added anyone to my CU accts so I don't know about Penfed, USAA, or PSECU. I need to call Citi cards and find out if they will report my BF AU account.

Message 13 of 36
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I like that AMEX wil let you set a CL for an AU. very nice!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 36
SAIDFICOMUSTBEASCAMLOL
Valued Member

Yup. I set AU cards to $200 if its an "assistant" or someone I'm just trying to help out. I JUST got a biz AMEX so I put all additional cards at $200 as well. 

Message 15 of 36
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
I like that AMEX wil let you set a CL for an AU. very nice!

Yes, this is a very nice feature that AMEX offers.  Also, my kids, as AU, do have their own cards with distinct numbers, different from my card number.  When I applied for them as AU, had to provide DOB and SSN.  I'll be checking their FICO here soon, it's been 3 months since they were added and the cards activated (though they've only used since Christmas -- given to them as Christmas gifts!) .  Kids thought it was really cool to have new credit cards, and were especially thrilled with Discover Cassette retro look card that I got them, as well as the AMEX Clear card. 

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an aunt, who's last name is not the same as mine, nor do we live at the same address.  She recently added me to her Discover card to help boost my credit and they did not ask for my ssn nor address.  She called them to question why they didn't ask for my ssn and the customer service rep told her that they didn't need my ssn to be added on as an authorized user because they didn't report au's to the CRA's anyway.  Any insight?  Can she call back and request my ssn be added without making me a joint user?

Message 17 of 36
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an aunt, who's last name is not the same as mine, nor do we live at the same address.  She recently added me to her Discover card to help boost my credit and they did not ask for my ssn nor address.  She called them to question why they didn't ask for my ssn and the customer service rep told her that they didn't need my ssn to be added on as an authorized user because they didn't report au's to the CRA's anyway.  Any insight?  Can she call back and request my ssn be added without making me a joint user?

Keep an eye on your credit reports.. It will list as a new account with your aunt's address. Don't listen to what the rep said.

Message 18 of 36
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ditto to the prev. poster. And I'll add that most all CCs will not ask for a SSN when adding as an AU. Now you can't be added as a joint account holder. You can be only added that way when you apply together in the beginning.

Message 19 of 36
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ditto to the prev. poster. And I'll add that most all CCs will not ask for a SSN when adding as an AU. Now you can't be added as a joint account holder. You can be only added that way when you apply together in the beginning.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.