cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Auto CLI After 3rd Statement!!!

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Auto CLI After 3rd Statement!!!

@wollepopolle wrote:

My ninth statement cut and no auto CLI. I am still at $3500. It's enough for me, so I surely won't take a hard pull for a CLI at this point. I use the card frequently and pay in full each month.

I only use the card for its 5% categories. Its general cashback rewards suck. Amex' Blue Cash Everyday is a much better card alttogether, I think.

Discover's 5% spending limits suck, too. $200 for the month of June for groceries is very little. They want you to forget about the $200 limit so that you keep spending and get taken down to their 0.5% cashback category or that you get just sick of calculating of how much you can still spend till you reach the $200 mark. For that matter, the Chase Freedom is better as its limits on the 5% categories are usually about four times that of Discover.

Having said all of this, it's an ok card. It's great to supplement other more substantial cashback cards. Also, their online shopping rewards are better than most others.

Its actually .25%...

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 11 of 19
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Its actually .25%...

Yes, you're right! My bad.

The 0.25% apply for the first $3000 spent, and I think that does not include 5% category purchases. Only then does it go up to 1% general cashback (which is pretty much the standard for most cashback cards anyway).

A friend of mine, a pretty smart person by the way but unaware of the whole slew of Discover fine print, thought she'd always earn 5% in a certain sign-up category. She wasn't aware of the low limits. Needless, she was disappointed to learn about the limit. Also, I am not even sure if she signs up for the categories every three months. It's fairly simple but the less computer-savvy among us, especially some older folks, might forget to sign up and then never get any rewards at all. I've seen it happen.

Another pitfall created by Discover to create a possible risk for you not to get your cashback (Chase Freedom does the same).

I mean if Discover really wanted everyone to actually get the 5% rewards, why would they create their nonsensical "sign-up" game in the first place. It's all about creating hoops through which we must jump to get our rewards.

Message 12 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

Its actually .25%...

Yes, you're right! My bad.

The 0.25% apply for the first $3000 spent, and I think that does not include 5% category purchases. Only then does it go up to 1% general cashback (which is pretty much the standard for most cashback cards anyway).

A friend of mine, a pretty smart person by the way but unaware of the whole slew of Discover fine print, thought she'd always earn 5% in a certain sign-up category. She wasn't aware of the low limits. Needless, she was disappointed to learn about the limit. Also, I am not even sure if she signs up for the categories every three months. It's fairly simple but the less computer-savvy among us, especially some older folks, might forget to sign up and then never get any rewards at all. I've seen it happen.

Another pitfall created by Discover to create a possible risk for you not to get your cashback (Chase Freedom does the same).

I mean if Discover really wanted everyone to actually get the 5% rewards, why would they create their nonsensical "sign-up" game in the first place. It's all about creating hoops through which we must jump to get our rewards.

Discover is still subprime in my book, those are just some of the many reasons why.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 13 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 14 of 19
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@wollepopolle wrote:

My ninth statement cut and no auto CLI. I am still at $3500. It's enough for me, so I surely won't take a hard pull for a CLI at this point. I use the card frequently and pay in full each month.

I only use the card for its 5% categories. Its general cashback rewards suck. Amex' Blue Cash Everyday is a much better card alttogether, I think.

Discover's 5% spending limits suck, too. $200 for the month of June for groceries is very little. They want you to forget about the $200 limit so that you keep spending and get taken down to their 0.5% cashback category or that you get just sick of calculating of how much you can still spend till you reach the $200 mark. For that matter, the Chase Freedom is better as its limits on the 5% categories are usually about four times that of Discover.

Having said all of this, it's an ok card. It's great to supplement other more substantial cashback cards. Also, their online shopping rewards are better than most others.

Its actually .25%...

Even more reason to only use it for the 5% categories :-)

Message 15 of 19
MAstudent07
Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI. I requested an increase this afternoon since my six month statement cut yesterday. I did the request through the automated system, and at the end of the call was denied. I called Discover to find out the reason, and it was that my balance is too high on my mortgage. I've had my house longer than their card, and apparently my balance was okay six months ago. Smiley Wink

In reality, it's not a biggie for me since I just wanted to experience requesting an increase with Discover. CS rep did say to try again in six months, but I won't. I only ask once for each card and leave it alone.

So far, BOA and Citi approved, DIscover denied, and I will not ask Chase....that's a hard pull. Smiley Surprised 

Amex BCE| BOA CB| Freedom| Citi DC| Discover It|
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@daytrade5 wrote:

@smc733 @RockinRay Thank you both! Hopefully you'll see an auto cli soon as I did! Does anyone know if Discover will hard pull you if you request a cli yourself???

It's me ~  Yes, they did HP and tripled my CL.   It was worth it! 

When you request CLI, what they do is input the information and tell you (sorry, you are disqualify) that they have to do HP if they don't approve your request.  I am not sure they actually approve at that stage or not.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called yesterday to inquire about a 3 month cli. The CSR said they won't budge until at least the 6 mo. mark. I told the guy , " So your telling me if I authorize a hard pull right now you will refuse my request.?"
He said it's only been three months since we checked your credit to open the account. Your score probably hasn't changed. I told him I monitor my TU and EXP ficos monthly and my scores have increased 30-40 pts since my app. And he basically said I can't help you. Told him I will open another account and stop using my card.
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's weird the CSR told they won't budge til at least 6 months, because I also got a auto CLI after my 3rd statement. Maybe call again and hope you talk to someone else.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.