Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Auto CLI...Pattern?

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover Auto CLI...Pattern?

I got an AUTO CLI every quarter since I got the card (Back in April)...every 3 months.

Infact they sent me a notification a week ago that they auto CLI my Discover card again. This is my 3rd auto CLI.

$6500 - Initial Credit 
$7250 - 1st CLI $750 - July 2013
$8000 - 2nd CLI $750 - October 2013
$8250 - 3rd CLI $250 (LOL) - January 2014

I got a small CLI this last QT, probably because I opened 2 new cards, BoA Cash Privileges & Amazon Chase

I am not sure why they keep auto CLI'ing me, I use the card maybe 5% of the CL...

Anyways, hopefully the above helps someone understanding Discover, because honestly I don't lol.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 11 of 27
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

It is 8 months now that I am following Discover's approval limits and CLIs..... it simply remains a mystery to me as I do not see any pattern other than maybe that if you get the card early (before you have a ton of high limit cards) you get better CL. As for the CLIs it seams like a lottery spin to me.... all I know that mine will never move but I find it quite amusing paying all my other lenders from Discover bank and not get higher CL from the lender I bank with... Smiley Happy  If they do not want my business oh well others will.

Message 12 of 27
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

Congrats!

What's in my sock drawer? NFCU LOC 15,000] NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000][ Golden 1Platinum Rewards Card 6,600 Discover It 5,000,] {NFCU goRewards 17,500} Barclaycard 1250.00,]Cap one 750.00 ], Watering my garden for the next five years:-)
EQUIFAX 727 EXPERIAN 732 TRANSUNION 743 FICO} STARTING SCORE....554 July 2013
Message 13 of 27
JeffM
Contributor

//Congratulations! We're pleased to inform you that your outstanding credit management in the first year has earned you a credit line increase on your Discover it™ card.

In the coming months, we will continue to evaluate your account in the first year and may continue increasing your credit line if you qualify.//

I'm wondering if this means that auto CLIs stop after the first year...hmm...

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 14 of 27
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone else do $50 Cashback redemptions for statement credit OFTEN? I have the subprime Discover IT version so no auto-CLI just because the card is at 3,6,9 months etc. nor with heavy spending (not an easy feat on a card with a toy limit).

My last two $50 redemptions were 84 days apart, yet the 2nd auto-CLI from the last $50 CB redemption was EXACTLY 90 days after the previous auto-CLI from the previous redemption.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-App-Approvals/Discover-CLI-from-Cashback-Redemption-Ever...

I plan to redeem my next $50 redmemption a month from now, around Feb 15. Since my Dec auto-CLI occured after Dec statement, the Jan statement is still "processing" (not reported to CRA). The Feb statement closing on Feb 9 will "finish" the Dec CLI process by finally reporting the current limit. I am almost positive the next auto-CLI from redemption WON'T occur until Mar 12, 2014 which will be 90 days from the last auto-CLI.

Message 15 of 27
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Hmm. I might just bypass my DiscoverIT cli request at the 6 month point coming up early Feb and see how high they increase then.

Good Read.
Message 16 of 27
JeffM
Contributor

@Brax wrote:

Does anyone else do $50 Cashback redemptions for statement credit OFTEN? I have the subprime Discover IT version so no auto-CLI just because the card is at 3,6,9 months etc. nor with heavy spending (not an easy feat on a card with a toy limit).

My last two $50 redemptions were 84 days apart, yet the 2nd auto-CLI from the last $50 CB redemption was EXACTLY 90 days after the previous auto-CLI from the previous redemption.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-App-Approvals/Discover-CLI-from-Cashback-Redemption-Ever...

I plan to redeem my next $50 redmemption a month from now, around Feb 15. Since my Dec auto-CLI occured after Dec statement, the Jan statement is still "processing" (not reported to CRA). The Feb statement closing on Feb 9 will "finish" the Dec CLI process by finally reporting the current limit. I am almost positive the next auto-CLI from redemption WON'T occur until Mar 12, 2014 which will be 90 days from the last auto-CLI.

What's a subprime Discover IT?

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 17 of 27
Brax
Frequent Contributor

@JeffM wrote:

I wonder this too. More importantly, I wonder if those that are inpatient and demand request a HP CLI at only 3-6 months take away the prime Discover 3,6,9,12 month auto-CLI potential (or the subprime Discover w/ auto-CLI from $50 redemptions in my case).

I would rather spend at least 4K on Discover each year to get $200 Cashback/year then spread out 4 of these into $50 redemptions for statement credit every 3 months to get an auto-CLI four times a year. Much more valuable than taking a HP CLI if that risks stopping the auto-CLI potential.

Message 18 of 27
JeffM
Contributor

@Brax wrote:

@JeffM wrote:

I wonder this too. More importantly, I wonder if those that are inpatient and demand request a HP CLI at only 3-6 months take away the prime Discover 3,6,9,12 month auto-CLI potential (or the subprime Discover w/ auto-CLI from $50 redemptions in my case).

I would rather spend at least 4K on Discover each year to get $200 Cashback/year then spread out 4 of these into $50 redemptions for statement credit every 3 months to get an auto-CLI four times a year. Much more valuable than taking a HP CLI if that risks stopping the auto-CLI potential.

Ya I was going to request a HP CLI in a few months but I think I'll wait to see if I get anymore auto CLIs

FICO TU - 769
Message 19 of 27
Brax
Frequent Contributor

@JeffM wrote:

@Brax wrote:

What's a subprime Discover IT?

I suspect there are two undisclosed versions of the Discover IT. Those that apply with no baddies and/or limited history seem to get a "prime" version of Discover that will be more likely to be given an auto-CLI at 3,6,9, or 12 months etc. Those that apply with a baddie of some sort (I had a unpaid medical baddie last year, now it's gone) seem to get a "subprime" Discover that gives no auto-CLI at 3,6,9, or 12 months. Possibly that remains in place forever.

Fortunately, I've been able to get auto-CLIs from $50 redemtions for statement credit.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.