Discover Bank Cashback Checking!

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Bank Cashback Checking!

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:
How often do you make $1 purchases? That's partly why people buyhighestgc possible with their 5% cards.

A lot actually. Just tonight I bought a bottle of water for $0.68 on my work break (I work in a grocery store). I also frequent vending machines and on Tuesday I paid $0.16 for a scantron test sheet for a college class I had. Both times I paid with my Discover Debit card.

63% cashback. Nice!

Exactly - Take that Salle Mae! Smiley Tongue

I didn't even mind the slightly confused look the older gentlemen gave me when I handed him my card to pay for it. Although I really wanted to be like "I'm doing it for the rewards", I felt that would make it more awkward lol.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:
How often do you make $1 purchases? That's partly why people buy highest gc possible with their 5% cards.

You ever drop by 7-11 for a pop, or McD's for just a double cheeseburger?

It happens Smiley Happy

The current best deal for places like McDs is through Amex Serve through the "Soft Card" (previously ISIS) app. (Soft card is a tap-to-pay via smartphone system like Google Wallet, for those that don't know.)  Flat $1 back for every transaction through the rest of 2014. Smiley Happy 

Message 12 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:
How often do you make $1 purchases? That's partly why people buyhighestgc possible with their 5% cards.

A lot actually. Just tonight I bought a bottle of water for $0.68 on my work break (I work in a grocery store). I also frequent vending machines and on Tuesday I paid $0.16 for a scantron test sheet for a college class I had. Both times I paid with my Discover Debit card.

63% cashback. Nice!

Exactly - Take that Salle Mae! Smiley Tongue

I didn't even mind the slightly confused look the older gentlemen gave me when I handed him my card to pay for it. Although I really wanted to be like "I'm doing it for the rewards", I felt that would make it more awkward lol.

I just recieved my Discover debit card and pin, so i'm looking forward to using that at CVS. I work across the street from a CVS, so its easier to go there than to get to a vending machine! Its pretty easy to split my purchases into one or two per trip, using one of the self checkout machines to process 2 transactions if necessary.

Its too bad I'm not in Citizens Bank's service area. The Green$ense card gives 25 cents cash back per transaction. I did try to get around that restriction, but just wasted a HP (5/102014 EQ)   Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Using this for transactions $3 or less Smiley Happy

If we'd gotten the $.20c/transaction offer I'd be using it for $5 or less.

I question whether doing this is worth it.  Yes, you get an amazing percentage of cashback.  But in looking at the actual value, is 10 cent worth the effort?  Not for me.

Same here... but I happily take the free incoming int'l wire every month that saves me 12$ every month (compared to BofA) Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:
How often do you make $1 purchases? That's partly why people buy highest gc possible with their 5% cards.

You ever drop by 7-11 for a pop, or McD's for just a double cheeseburger?

It happens Smiley Happy

The current best deal for places like McDs is through Amex Serve through the "Soft Card" (previously ISIS) app. (Soft card is a tap-to-pay via smartphone system like Google Wallet, for those that don't know.)  Flat $1 back for every transaction through the rest of 2014. Smiley Happy 

Why didn't I know about this before!

Not that I eat McD's THAT often but still!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.