Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI 6 months/statement question

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Discover CLI 6 months/statement question

So I opened my Discover account 4/11/12. I've read that you can request a CLI after 6 months. I had changed my min payment due date from the original 11th (i think) to my  current min due date which is the 3rd every month. So now my statement cuts the 4th, which is tonight.

I've chatted online, and they said I can request a CLI tomorrow. Another said I can request it on 10/11/12. Then another said I can request one in November. Now, I see some say they requested after 6 months, other say 6th statement. Even if I wait until 10/11/12, I'll still only have 5 statements generated. I'd have to wait for another month to get the 6th statement.

Normally I wouldn't micromanage to this extent but I want to apply for CSP as I am taking a trip abroad and want to purchase the plane ticket with the CSP. So any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover CLI 6 months/statement question

@SwiftTone wrote:

So I opened my Discover account 4/11/12. I've read that you can request a CLI after 6 months. I had changed my min payment due date from the original 11th (i think) to my  current min due date which is the 3rd every month. So now my statement cuts the 4th, which is tonight.

I've chatted online, and they said I can request a CLI tomorrow. Another said I can request it on 10/11/12. Then another said I can request one in November. Now, I see some say they requested after 6 months, other say 6th statement. Even if I wait until 10/11/12, I'll still only have 5 statements generated. I'd have to wait for another month to get the 6th statement.

Normally I wouldn't micromanage to this extent but I want to apply for CSP as I am taking a trip abroad and want to purchase the plane ticket with the CSP. So any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

I thought CLI were SP unless you want to get more than what computer offers?

Are you waiting for the Chase app based on another HP showing? isn't Chase EX and Discover EQ?

Message 2 of 9
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

Are you waiting for the Chase app based on another HP showing? isn't Chase EX and Discover EQ?

I don't think my question was clear.

Do they allow customer initiated CLI after the 5th statement which is generated at the 6 months mark, or do they do it at the 6th statement which is generated on the 7th month mark?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 9
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

I don't think my question was clear.

Do they allow customer initiated CLI after the 5th statement which is generated at the 6 months mark, or do they do it at the 6th statement which is generated on the 7th month mark?

Usually Discover gives you auto CLIs within 6 months of opening the account...you can certainly call tho and request an increase if you've already reached your 6th statement!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 9
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

If you click the button too early, you just get a message saying you are not eligible. It doesn't pull anything. So if you click tomorrow and it goes through, it goes through. If it doesn't, try the 11th. If it still doesn't, try 11/1.

Or you could wait until 11/1 to see if you get an auto CLI in the interim.

But either way, acting too early won't force you to wait longer than you would have any way.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 9
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

If you click the button too early, you just get a message saying you are not eligible. It doesn't pull anything. So if you click tomorrow and it goes through, it goes through. If it doesn't, try the 11th. If it still doesn't, try 11/1.

Or you could wait until 11/1 to see if you get an auto CLI in the interim.

But either way, acting too early won't force you to wait longer than you would have any way.

I have clicked the button too early several times, and each time it has soft pulled my report AND pushed a mid-cycle update to the bureaus.

Message 6 of 9
texasman07
Established Contributor

question: im coming up on my 6th statement.  DO i need to pay my card down? Im at about 50% util and I want a CLI.  what is the best tactic to get a cli with discover?

Message 7 of 9
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@texasman07 wrote:

question: im coming up on my 6th statement.  DO i need to pay my card down? Im at about 50% util and I want a CLI.  what is the best tactic to get a cli with discover?

I would pay it down.

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 8 of 9
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

So I just tried today to get the CLI and they're giving me the after the six month speech. They said that I have to wait until the account cycles again AFTER the 6th month.

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.