Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Tactics?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Discover CLI Tactics?

So I might as well try to get this anemic credit line increased a bit, given my next lowest line is double the lousy $1,500 this is...

I went through the phone, it asked for some info, keyed it in, then said more info may be needed, so I hung up when it transferred to a rep so as to avoid a hard as I am told.

Has anyone had luck getting hard-free CLIs on this card?  If so, how?  It is certainly not worth a hard pull, but I'd like to not have anything below $3k showing as open on my CR if possible.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover CLI Tactics?

If your TU cr is clean you may have a chance, my cr has 1 baddie and recieved only $1,500.00 cli but it cost me a hard pull and a reconsideration with a credit analyst.  I think the only way you will find out if you can get a cli with a soft pull is to speak a senior credit analyst and inquire.  Good Luck

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

was only able to get an increase from Discover by finally allowing an HP,

after about 18 or so months of trying to get one w/o an HP and being denied, I caved in. 

Ultimately it was worth it to me to get the CL >5k.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

Bleh, if I were going to use a hard pull, I'd rather get a CLI on my BofA to $5,000.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 17
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Smc733, I have had similar experiences with DFS. After 10 months of requesting soft cli's, finally, I too caved in and requested a hard pull; Still denied unless I spoke with a credit analyst first. After 8 minutes, I finally received an increase of 1500. CL is now 4000.
earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 5 of 17
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I know you don't hold Discover in the highest regard, but how heavily do you use the card? Discover seems to encourage and reward for heavy usage. They want to be your primary card. My experience with Discover and limit increases have been pretty good--$4500 in CLI's over say 18 months give or take and only 1 was initiated by me however, it was hard free. My last 3 increases came on heels of cash back redemptions for statement credits. YMMV, but start using the card a lot and see what happens. Good luck.

Message 6 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

I know you don't hold Discover in the highest regard, but how heavily do you use the card? Discover seems to encourage and reward for heavy usage. They want to be your primary card. My experience with Discover and limit increases have been pretty good--$4500 in CLI's over say 18 months give or take and only 1 was initiated by me however, it was hard free. My last 3 increases came on heels of cash back redemptions for statement credits. YMMV, but start using the card a lot and see what happens. Good luck.

That makes sense, but I won't be able to do that.  I really only spend enogh to make good use of 2 cards, which are BofA and Amex, and I can't see replacing Amex with Discover...

I've heard of people who have shunned the card eventually getting a CLI in hopes of increasing usage, so maybe I'll let it sit and see if that comes around, not that I'd use it anyway...

Message 7 of 17
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

That makes sense, but I won't be able to do that.  I really only spend enogh to make good use of 2 cards, which are BofA and Amex, and I can't see replacing Amex with Discover...

I've heard of people who have shunned the card eventually getting a CLI in hopes of increasing usage, so maybe I'll let it sit and see if that comes around, not that I'd use it anyway...

Not trying to be argumentative here, but if you don't use cards enough to warrant increases in the CLs, why do you even need those increases? And why would a lender, any lender, even consider increasing the CL?

Message 8 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

...because $1,500 is only hurting me compared to my other limits.  If they wanted me to think about using their card, they should be inclined to make that limit more than 50% of my next lowest limit. ($3k)

Message 9 of 17
anybodii
New Contributor

I think the same way with my lower limit cards, why would I even use them when they're so much lower than my other ones? I tell them the same thing, you're limit is too low to use. Although I don't think I'll ever get a discover unless I can get one I actually think I'll always use, because from what I hear on here they lower everyone's limits to like $500 regardless of their credit if they don't use it...

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.