Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI at 6 months

tag
penelope10
Established Member

Discover CLI at 6 months

I opened my discover more account in January 2012.  My 6th statement is now available.  I do not have the "Luv" button available.  Not even really sure where it will appear.

Should I call to request a CLI now?  Right now, this card only has a $2500 limit.  I only have two other cards.  CSP is at $17.5 and I have a C1 card at $5000.  I really like the discover card, but I have to PIF 2 times a month since I charge way more than $2500.  I have never carried a balance, and have charged approximately $21k in the first 6 months.

Should I wait, or call?  If I should call, what number should I use?  Discover: 866-219-0214 (Retention Dept.)?

Starting Score 5/1/2002: 553
Current Score 5/30/2012: 785 (EQ FICO)
Current Score 10/2/2012: 803 (TU FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ajh5408
Contributor

Re: Discover CLI at 6 months

Technically speaking, the "luv" button would appear in the upper-left, around the same area as the Make Payment button. Alternatively, you can go to Help Center > More... > Request a Credit Line Increase (under Manage Account). Of course, you can always call to request an increase as well... I honestly see no reason to use anything other than the primary number, unless you're the type who prefers to go directly to a credit analyst for whatever reason. Probably better to ask for one via the normal channels first, then go to an analyst if you need more than is offered...

Message 2 of 5
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@ajh5408 wrote:

Technically speaking, the "luv" button would appear in the upper-left, around the same area as the Make Payment button. Alternatively, you can go to Help Center > More... > Request a Credit Line Increase (under Manage Account). Of course, you can always call to request an increase as well... I honestly see no reason to use anything other than the primary number, unless you're the type who prefers to go directly to a credit analyst for whatever reason. Probably better to ask for one via the normal channels first, then go to an analyst if you need more than is offered...

The link in manage account - is that there always or only if you're eligible? Any ideas why you might have no button but have the link?

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 3 of 5
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

I suggest you call the number on the back of your card. Retention may be overkill. Just ask for a CLI and tell them that your credit line is inadequate and causes you to have to make multiple payments each month. They will ask you how much you want, so be prepared. They will use their internal system initially with a soft pull. If the system does not approve you for the amount you ask, they will most likely do a hard pull. With your history of charges, they should give you a good CLI.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 4 of 5
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

This may be a little off topic, but when Discover says you can request a CLI at 6 months, do they mean 6 months from opening date or the 6th statement??

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.