Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI - not!

tag
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Discover CLI - not!

ok. So i decided to call discover and find out if i was eligble for a credit limit increase. The phone system told me to press 5 and I did. I entered some info, and then I was transferred to a customer service rep. I asked him about finding out info on a credit limit increase. I didn't actually ask him to do one. He asked me what my income was, and then all of a sudden he said denied. Wait 7-10 days for reason in mail, then he hung up.

All I wanted to know was if I was eligible for an increase and how much of an increase I could try for. I did NOT want him to actually put in request in for it. Isn't there some kind of discloser they have to say before they can pull your credit file? Do you think I got  a hard inquiry now from them? I did NOT want one. When I got the card they pulled transunion. Would they have pulled that CR again or does it differ?

I don't know what to do because I did not want that inquiry, they didn't ask if they could pull my report, and he did not have my permission to do a credit check. I am just about ready to pull all three reports and see if anything happened. Do inquires usually show up right away?

This happen to anyone else? I called discover about 6-8 months ago to find out how much credit I could get. That lady was nice, and told me the max I could request, but they would need to do a hard inquiry. So I said no. I called just to find out what my max chance could be.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI - not!

Interesting. Discover has always been really nice and very helpful with me on the phone. I just did a phone CLI request about 3 weeks ago, and she asked me beforehand if it was okay for them to pull my credit... I agreed and said yes. Gave me a 2000 increase. (pretty good for discover). anyways, that is odd that happened to you. Discover has always been really nice and very helpful with me on the phone. i would assume they are prompted to ask you if it is ok to pull your credit if he did in fact pull a hard. Hopefully  he somehow just did an internal soft pull, which would not affect your score.  and yes, inquiries show up right away. So if you pull your reports, you will know right then if they pulled any hards. Good luck. Let us know what happened.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR hung up on me the last time I called. Next time I will take down his or her name.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

whats up with discover hatin on everyone??!! they have always been nice to me Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Yea sure. When I check my reports I'll make sure to post here what happened. I feel like calling them up and talking to someone.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
jj10939
Regular Contributor

It probably wasn't a hard pull.  When I ask for one, they tell me it is a soft.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

For some reason, IMO..... i find that I dont get good service when I'm transfered to the delaware call center  . If its Utah....Arizona... Its always great.  When I need to call I listen to what call center im transfered to and if its delaware I hang up and try again.

Message 7 of 8
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I tried for a CLI in March of this year... wanted to pull CR.  Told the CSR no thanks.  I've had the card for almost 2 years with only one CLI in that time.  I use it very infrequently now.  The More card's rewards program has been kind of pathetic of late as well IME.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.