Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI question

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Discover CLI question

I finally got the "request increase" button on my Discover account about a week ago. I clicked it, and asked for double my limit and it said that it would require a credit pull. I canceled out of it because I do not want any hp's. I was going to try again and just ask for a smaller increase and hope for a sp but now for the past week, when I click on it.....it says I already have one in process so I can't do another one. Is that normal after canceling a request? If so, how long does it normally take for you to try again?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Re: Discover CLI question

I've heard of this happening with folks many times in the past. I think I may of read someone logged in a few days later and were surprised by an increase.

Anyway, wanted to bump this for you in hopes that someone with some experience with this will chime in, I'd kind of like to hear a definitive answer myself. Smiley Wink

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 2 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Yes happen all the time

You could call in and try a SP

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 13
n777ua
Established Contributor

Discover is one of my oldest cards and I've never been able to get a CLI out of them.  There was the button a couple years ago, but I cancelled out when it wanted a HP, then the button went away.  Tried for a SP CLI a few months later and no dice.  I was considering another SP CLI request, but there's no balance on the card and considering my limits ($106,500 combined), there's no way I need it.  I just find it curious how they can be quite generous with some and stingy with others.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 13
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

N777ua - I was in your shoes.  Try not using your Discover card at all for three or four months.  I did that and they sent me a new card, then when I called to activate it, they asked what they could do to win back my business, and I said "Raise my credit limit." I gave them the 4000 number (I was at 1700) and they raised it to 4000 with a soft pull.

Message 5 of 13
n777ua
Established Contributor

@koalablue wrote:

N777ua - I was in your shoes.  Try not using your Discover card at all for three or four months.  I did that and they sent me a new card, then when I called to activate it, they asked what they could do to win back my business, and I said "Raise my credit limit." I gave them the 4000 number (I was at 1700) and they raised it to 4000 with a soft pull.

I haven't used it in over 6 months Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@n777ua wrote:

@koalablue wrote:

From experience, you're probably right.  I have noticed a pattern where if used frequently, then the CLIs usually happen.  On mine, they've been granted sporadically, depending on its usage but I've had mine since the mid-90s... currently sits at $15K.   How old is yours N777ua?

Message 7 of 13
n777ua
Established Contributor

IIRC late 2008, $6k was the initial line

@FinStar wrote:

@n777ua wrote:

@koalablue wrote:

From experience, you're probably right.  I have noticed a pattern where if used frequently, then the CLIs usually happen.  On mine, they've been granted sporadically, depending on its usage but I've had mine since the mid-90s... currently sits at $15K.   How old is yours N777ua?

Message 8 of 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I've gotten the button in the past but if I click on it...I'm told to call customer service.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 9 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@maiden_girl wrote:

I've gotten the button in the past but if I click on it...I'm told to call customer service.

Which would appear to translate that any type of (SP) CLI is curently not available on the account.  Of course, the option still exists to request a CLI if you contact them directly; however, more than likely it will result in a HP... and to my knowledge you can cancel the request before the HP if you elect not to do so at the present time.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.