Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI request question.

tag
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Discover CLI request question.

I'm going on a LONG cruise this fall and they require a certian amount to be preauthroized since its a longer cruise (16 days). I obviously don't want to use my debit card since that will take that large sum away - but my problem is I only have 3 cards (other than Walmart)

Crap one - locked at 300 for ever (per cap one) had 2 years never one credit limit increase - not even the credit steps

Crap One 2 - 1250 this got the first step increase and thats it.

Discover - 1000 

my total usable credit is 2550 (wife has no credit cards other than store cards). Supposedly they put a hold of like 100 per person per day so for the 2 of us we're looking at them putting a hold for 3200 which exceeds what we have available.

My question is this:

I got the Discover at the end of May (I had it 5 days then they cut a statement) so by the time we depart I will have had 4 cut statements worth of history and almost 5 months with being a discover customer. I've ready they really only give limit increases after 6 months which I'll be a month shy of on the day we depart.

If I call them up and say "look I'm going on a cruise for 16 days and they want to put a hold of 3200 on my card, can you increase my credit limit to 3200" do you think they would approve this? Since I've gotten the discover nothing has changed expect for a 30 day late that was on a card that I'm an AU on and I've already dropped myself from that card and disputed it - so by then it should be long gone. I use the card heavily (got to love the 5% on gas right now) and pay off in full - make weekly payments and probably put 2k a month through the card.

Card can easily be paid in full and not used when I go to ask for the limit increase and will definatly be PIF with a 0 balance about 1 week before the cruise no matter what.

Is it worth calling them up to ask? I know I'll get no where with Cap one and I really don't wan to apply for another card at this time. Should I wait till about 1 week before the cruise? or should I call now and ask?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
newbiewife
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover CLI request question.

Try calling them. I did call them last week from 750 increase it to 3750. And last night call them again 3750-8750. 1st one is HP thats fine with me the second one is SP. Try it. Last night they ask me if I have big purchases coming I said no. I just want my discover limit increase cuz I want my discover my go to card. I told them discover rep is easy to talked to when I have question. Then they increase my limit.
Heart trying to reach 800! Heart
Gardening till 12/14 Smiley Tongue
Message 2 of 7
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

I'd say call them right before you're about to leave. Your odds would be better for a CLI at that time compared to now.

Message 3 of 7
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Ok I'll probably wait till its about 2 weeks prior and call and say "I'm leaving in 2 weeks, when can I request an increase for travel?" and see if they take the hint. I just don't want to tie up money in my bank account that will be autopaying bills while we're gone.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 4 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If Discover won't give you what you need, how about an Amex pre paid? You were going to use your debit card anyway- I ordered one for my son last year and it comes with all the protections of an Amex cc.
Message 5 of 7
QueenBeeOC
Regular Contributor

I would call cap1 exec office. I have had not huge increases but $500 on TWO cards. Not bad, so combined I went from $600 limit w/them to $1600

Southwest: $9k - Discover It $1,900 - Amazon $2,900 - CAP1 - $1,500 - QuickSilver (FKA Orchard) - $900 - J. Crew $1K - LOFT $1K - Nordstroms $1K - Amex BCE - $3,000
Scores: Credit Karma 687, Credit Sesame 660- EQ 643 - EX 665 (from Amex)- TQ 655 Lender Pull: 693

Message 6 of 7
Bluedog23
Regular Contributor

+1 to the prepaid AMEX idea. But does OP have the cash for this? OP, is applying for a new card definitely not an option? Because the CL increase with Discover might result in a hard pull anyway. Wonder if his credit profile might get him an AMEX charge??

Just trying to think of options. This happened to me before I had credit cards a while back. I ended up using debit, but my cruise wasn't as long so not as much money. The thing about using debit for this is you don't have the protection of cc. Also, you're at their mercy as to when they release the hold. This particular experience is what forced me to realize that my all cash pay as you go philosophy was NOT working.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.

EX 805 FICO, EQ Fico 762; TU. 768Discover)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.