Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI ?'s

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Discover CLI ?'s

Well I just passed the end of the twelfth billing cycle for my Discover card. I don't think Discover is doling out CLI's unless you ask anymore, so:

1) Any point in waiting for a better time to request a CLI? (This is the second consecutive month I billed out a credit balance.)

2) I intend to request this through the telephone system. I am pretty sure I have the option available to me and have had for a while now. (If I don't I am not asking!) When you use that system do you enter the amount of increase you want or the amount you want the new CL to be?

eta: I just pulled TU and EX full reports and see Discover softed me on TU in 08/2009 for AR.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 08-19-2009 01:34 AM
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover CLI ?'s

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Well I just passed the end of the twelfth billing cycle for my Discover card. I don't think Discover is doling out CLI's unless you ask anymore, so:

1) Any point in waiting for a better time to request a CLI? (This is the second consecutive month I billed out a credit balance.)

2) I intend to request this through the telephone system. I am pretty sure I have the option available to me and have had for a while now. (If I don't I am not asking!) When you use that system do you enter the amount of increase you want or the amount you want the new CL to be?

If I recall correctly (and that's questionable!!!) I had my Discover for a couple of years before I started getting auto CLI's. I never have asked for one. I got my last one in March but they may have changed their CLI protocols since then. I wish I could be of more help. Good luck in your request.

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I no longer have the auto option available. If I press whatever the number is for CLI, it just says if I want to speak to a CSR to press then whatever. But I have read on the forum there is a max limit Discover is adhering to. Some have said it was 16k and anyone at or above is not eligible for a CLI now. Others have said the new limit is 12k for anyone not already at or above. But when I did have the auto option, in Jan I was declined but in Feb I received an increase from 12k to 16k. Absolutely nothing was different in my profile in Feb than in Jan. I had requested more. And the system came back and said they couldn't approve me for what I requested but could for the additional 4k. I forget exactly if I had to put in the increase I wanted or the limit. I THINK the dollar amount of the increase I wanted but don't hold me to that. One or the other. Also income and there were a list of reasons ( home improvement, etc) on what you wanted the increase for and I had to select one. "Other" may have been an option. Don't remember. I do know a month after my CLI I received notice of my rate increase from 9.24V to 12.99V. Can't prove any correlation. But hope this helps a little and good luck!
Message Edited by ExcellCR on 08-18-2009 11:46 PM
Message Edited by ExcellCR on 08-18-2009 11:48 PM
Message 3 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Thanks. That helps some.

I believe it is $12K max for an opening CL and $16K for a maximum they will currently increase to, They seem pretty willing to dole out 20% increases if you've been good. If I can get 25% or so I will be happy.

I have a good APR. I hope I can get this done without triggering an APRI. I can't possibly see what one has to do with the other.

You don't have the request option any longer because either: a) the recency of its use or b) you're already at the max. I am pretty sure I've had it for months now.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope you do. My increase was 1/3 which I was happy with. Did put me @ the 16k.
Message 5 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Original post edited:

eta: I just pulled TU and EX full reports and see Discover softed me on TU in 08/2009 for AR.

Message 6 of 15
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 08-19-2009 01:34 AM

CWCID, every six months seems to be the timeframe for the availability of the automated CLI system (via telephone).

You need to enter the amount of the increase you want, not the total credit line you want.

If the amount you requested is too high for their taste, they will counteroffer, which you can accept and your increased CL posts immediately.  If you do not accept, you can be transferred to a CSR for further discussion.

The options for why you want the increase does include "other" as a choice.  And they also request your income when you use this system.

By the way, in another thread I indicated some anomalies in Discover's reporting of my account.  Two of the instances were, in fact, related to CLIs.  (I didn't correlate one event with the other, so that clears up two of those instances for me).  I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it in another thread.

Hope this helps!

Carry on...

Message 7 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Perfect. Thank you!

If I remember correctly they are looking for HHI.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 08-19-2009 11:31 AM
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I believe it was HHI in Feb for me. They AR softed me on TU last mo. Seems TU is the only one they do for me. Let us know if you pull the trigger and the results.
Message Edited by ExcellCR on 08-20-2009 12:10 AM
Message 9 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

They can soft me on TU 'til the cows come home. It's the best I have to show! (One adverse account reflecting one 30-day late. Wheeeeee.)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.