Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI?

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover CLI?

I've hit the cancel two separate times and both times the rep called me to discuss the CLI request. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 19
ajh5408
Contributor

@oracles wrote:

Thanks guys, really appreciate your reponses.

So even online, it will counter offer you? If so, then i should just do it on the internet

Not always... Over the internet or over the phone. For example, I was flat denied for a $5,000 CLI (no counter), but when I attempted $4,000, it approved it immediately. When I ended up speaking with the CSR, she had a similar experience... As I said, it may be best to have a live CSR enter it because they can check with no specified amount, which in theory will produce the highest CLI available without having to try a lot of different numbers. I was told by a credit analyst that multiple requests like that can trigger fraud alerts and actually make it harder for you to get a CLI... So it may just be best to call, have them try with no specified amount, and take whatever they offer you the first time through. As in my case, asking too many times can sometimes cause them to rescind prior offers. Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 19
markbebout

In Ohio, the only way to ask for a credit line increase is via phone. I have read this numerous times on these threads. I do have the option to request an increase on the Discover site, but it automatically tells me to call in. Calling in equals a hard pull. I have pushed $32,000.00 through the card since last July. My one year anniversary is this July, so I am hoping for some love. I got an intial credit line of $4000.00. We use it for all of our mothly expenses and pay it off before the statement cuts monthly. Discover says they like high usage. We shall see how much they appreciate me as a customer come July! 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be sure to keep us updated this July Mark.  I just got my Discover a few weeks ago and I will be curious as to how they treat you this summer.

Message 14 of 19
jla84
Regular Contributor

I just did my first CLI with Discover. I played it safe and put in a $3000 CLI (almost matching my highest card [Citi]) and was instantly approved. It had some sort of weird form response that said "You requested $3000. Unfortunately we can only give you an increase of $3000. If you want to request more, we'll need to do a hard pull" lol. So I think initially it's a SP and if you still want more then they ask for your permission to do a HP. 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Message 15 of 19
lithium78
Established Contributor

I tried to get a CLI to cover a BT to the card, but no dice.  I guess my other cards will handle larger transactions then.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 16 of 19
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

I have had a Discover card since 2009 and it has been stuck at $1700 since November of 2009.  I requested a CLI on through their website numerous times and have always received the "Your account is not eliglble for a credit limit increase at this time."   I stopped using the card entirely six months ago and today I decided to close it after  trying for an increase and receiving the same response today.

I told the CS Rep that I wanted to close the account because the limit was so low and she said the limit was low because I didn't use it.  I told her again, that I didn't use it because the limit was so low and when she asked if I had ever requested an increase, I told her about the failed attempts.  I was quite surprised when she asked me for the application number  because I have never gotten an application number.  She then connected me with a credit analyst who took some basic information from me and I was given an instant increase to $2,700.  He told me that he wasn't going to request a specific amount and I would get as much as possible with out a hard pull. 

I'm going to start using the card and see what happens in the future!

Message 17 of 19
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@markbebout wrote:

In Ohio, the only way to ask for a credit line increase is via phone. I have read this numerous times on these threads. I do have the option to request an increase on the Discover site, but it automatically tells me to call in. Calling in equals a hard pull. I have pushed $32,000.00 through the card since last July. My one year anniversary is this July, so I am hoping for some love. I got an intial credit line of $4000.00. We use it for all of our mothly expenses and pay it off before the statement cuts monthly. Discover says they like high usage. We shall see how much they appreciate me as a customer come July! 

Not true - I'm in ohio and have had two CLI's via the online request.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kay_Cee wrote:

I have had a Discover card since 2009 and it has been stuck at $1700 since November of 2009.  I requested a CLI on through their website numerous times and have always received the "Your account is not eliglble for a credit limit increase at this time."   I stopped using the card entirely six months ago and today I decided to close it after  trying for an increase and receiving the same response today.

I told the CS Rep that I wanted to close the account because the limit was so low and she said the limit was low because I didn't use it.  I told her again, that I didn't use it because the limit was so low and when she asked if I had ever requested an increase, I told her about the failed attempts.  I was quite surprised when she asked me for the application number  because I have never gotten an application number.  She then connected me with a credit analyst who took some basic information from me and I was given an instant increase to $2,700.  He told me that he wasn't going to request a specific amount and I would get as much as possible with out a hard pull. 

I'm going to start using the card and see what happens in the future!

CCCs do not want you to carry a balance (except for the subprime ones), they want you to pay in full, use their card like mad and let them make money off of retailers.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.