Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI

tag
mab463
Established Member

Discover CLI

So I'm about done with my 2nd month with Discover IT and was hoping to know people's experiences with an auto CLI at 3 months. I'll request it if I have to, but this $750 limit is getting silly. I pay 2-3x a month and always have a small balance when the statement cuts which I then promptly PIF.

Capital One MC - $750 CL
Discover IT - $750 CL

Gardening since 6/18/14
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover CLI

@mab463 wrote:

So I'm about done with my 2nd month with Discover IT and was hoping to know people's experiences with an auto CLI at 3 months. I'll request it if I have to, but this $750 limit is getting silly. I pay 2-3x a month and always have a small balance when the statement cuts which I then promptly PIF.

There is no auto CLI especially for someone with a low CL. It will cost you a HP.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 2 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

I've had 3 auto CLI's 

4 months 7 months and 1 year and I barely use the card other than when the 5% gas rolls around

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 27
mab463
Established Member

@myjourney wrote:

I've had 3 auto CLI's 

4 months 7 months and 1 year and I barely use the card other than when the 5% gas rolls around

Did you start with a CL on the lower end? My FICO TU is pretty good. I think the low limit was due to only 6 months of my own credit and the rest as an authorized user.

Capital One MC - $750 CL
Discover IT - $750 CL

Gardening since 6/18/14
Message 4 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mab463 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

I've had 3 auto CLI's 

Did you start with a CL on the lower end? My FICO TU is pretty good. I think the low limit was due to only 6 months of my own credit and the rest as an authorized user.

I was actually shocked at the limit I was started at $1200...... but it was the last card in a spree so I took that as a possible cause since I had two spree's in the course of 6 months. IIRC 8 cards in that time span

At the time it was my lowest but has grown nicely with all auto CLI's in the span of a year.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 27
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

@mab463 wrote:

In my experience - I started with a $500 student Discover More card. 

After 6 months it was bumped to $750

12 months $1000

24 months, $1500. I'm stuck at $1500 now after having the card 2.5 years. 

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 6 of 27
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@tonyjones wrote:

@mab463 wrote:

There is no auto CLI especially for someone with a low CL. It will cost you a HP.

@I disagree...but it is a YMMV thing. Chances @3 months for auto-CLI or CLI with SP are slim but hey we have read examples here....so wait until your statement cuts and then you can try the luv button as it will ask permission in case it is a HP. Don't get frustrated if it does not work after 3 months. It has taken me 15 months for my first CLI and then I got another one 3 months later...so it can grow rather fast once it moves. (My Discover journey 2,5K - 15 months - 5K - 3 months - 7,5K)  Good luck!

Message 7 of 27
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

I've had 3 auto CLI's with my 15 month old Discover IT card. My CL has gone from 6000 to 7500 at $500 increments each. DH has had his card since 2009 and only receives CLI's when he asks for them. 

FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm crossing me fingers, hoping the auto CLI as well.  Approaching my 3rd full month...

Message 9 of 27
DFStudent
Valued Member

I think it might be in your best interest to just wait for auto CLI, if that happens to you... It's too soon for an increase IMO.

$12,400              $20,000           $10,000             $6,000               $4,700               $5,800            $1,050 (AU)
Suncoast CU VISA - $2500, BOA BBR VISA - $1000 || EX - 778 (12/13), EQ - 764 (12/13), TU - 763 (12/13) || Grad Student
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.