Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI

tag
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Discover CLI

I opened the account back in April and generally put around $200 through the card a month but have been neglecting it post December with only a single $30 transaction between now and then. Historically, every increase I've requested has been denied, but tonight I tried the love button again and the system offered 1k. Boo. I'm thinking about calling in tomorrow and doing it over the phone in the hopes that I can eek out a higher offer. Does Discover counter like AmEx, or do they just issue a flat denial if it's too high? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover CLI

They'll offer you the max with a HP.  Just use the # in the first page of my thread to reach Lending directly and they'll work with you on things.  $1000 isn't too bad though but, my SP's for the last 3 were 6K+.  Different profiles, different results though.  Looking through your lineup though if they ask you for a number since it's a HP go for 25K and let them counter back after reviewing your file.  They will probably counter since your highest is just shy of 10K right now.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/td-p/4802538

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Most of us would jump on a 1k increase from Discover like theres no tomorrowSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schwartzinator wrote:

I opened the account back in April and generally put around $200 through the card a month but have been neglecting it post December with only a single $30 transaction between now and then. Historically, every increase I've requested has been denied, but tonight I tried the love button again and the system offered 1k. Boo. I'm thinking about calling in tomorrow and doing it over the phone in the hopes that I can eek out a higher offer. Does Discover counter like AmEx, or do they just issue a flat denial if it's too high? 

yep. 1000 nice increase in my book. Good Luck and I hope you can get more....Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Got a $2500 increase without a HP!

Message 5 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

So, now you have $3500 in just a couple of days?  I'm guessing you called Lending and they gave you what was still on the table?

Message 6 of 9
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Yes, they said they'd likely offer more with a manual review, but I'm not taking another HP. I'll try again in two months once the card hits 1 year.  

Message 7 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Waiting for a SP can be good if you're profile is HP sensitive.  It's always nice though to have the option to HP for what you want instead of what the offer is. It's also nice to see you get more CL out of a phone call in addition to the SP online.  Some say the double dip works and others not.  It's good to see that it's still an option that does indeed work every once in awhile.  I was starting to think they changed their policies or something when people kept reporting it not working.  I'm on the every other month plan with them and it's working well.  Keep up the hard work!

Message 8 of 9
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I wish I'd learned about credit earlier on as I've wasted too many HPs as it is. Having said that, for being 22 I think I've done a better than average job managing my file. I've got my core now (just need Chase to formally drop the Fairmont so I can PC to CSP/CSR) and I can relax in the garden until I need a mortgage or an auto loan.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.