Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card, Credit Scorecard, and Pre-approvals - something I noticed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card, Credit Scorecard, and Pre-approvals - something I noticed

I saw something today that made me wonder if anyone else has seen this and had any experience with it.

I tried to Doscover pre-approval. I got the wide range of interest rates, which, by every indication I've seen here, is a sign that I wasn't pre-approved for anything firm.

I logged into Credit Scorecard. There's a link there for info on a Discover card. That came back with a single interest rate - no range. There's nothing on the link that indicates it's a pre-approval.

So now I'm wondering - is the single rate showing through the Credit Scorecard link any indication of pre-approval? Has anyone else seen this and gone through with applying?

I thought maybe the process of signing up for Credit Scorecard and logging into it might have given them something more to validate identity and base a pre-approval off of than the usual pre-approval link. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Card, Credit Scorecard, and Pre-approvals - something I noticed

Something similar happened to me.  I did the Scorecard and few weeks later I got an email from Discover that said something like "You got your Score, now let's get you your card!"   I opened it expecting a generic offer with a range, but it was an offer with a specific APR.  On the site preapprovals, I always got a range so was afraid to apply.  Debated it and right before I decided to garden, I took the dive and got it.  My score wasn't spectacular, so my SL was low ($1800) but I got approved.  Not sure if one is necessarily predictive of the other, but it worked for me.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds solid to me!  Chase Credit Journey is the same.

Can I ask either of you to post data points on what your EX score was when you saw these preapprovals?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds solid to me!  Chase Credit Journey is the same.

Can I ask either of you to post data points on what your EX score was when you saw these preapprovals?

My EX is 658.

I didn't go through with applying. If I do, I'll update.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice!  I just got the Discover secured in March so I can't app for another Discover yet and I will wait out a full year or so to get my FICOs as high as possible for as high of a CL as possible.  I'd love to get another full year run at the double cash back bonus, too, and my first year on the secured runs out in February so I will likely app in March or April next year.  Preapprovals on that site won't do much for me because I don't want a $1000 SL toy card that doesn't meet my monthly spend.  Even my $2500 secured card needs to be PIF'd at least twice a month and it's a bit of a headache having to wait for payments to clear to use it again.

Love my Discover card so far, and easily the best secured card ever offered.  Wish they allowed $25,000 deposits, I would max that out in a few months, lol.

Message 5 of 16
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Is the Discover Credit Scorecard a free service for non-members that allow you to view your Experian report?

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free for anyone.  Gives you a FICO EX 08 score monthly.

Doesn't give you a full report but a nice snapshot of your EX pulled that day.  Soft pull and shows you a glimpse overall.  Useful for seeing if new accounts or inquiries reported, but only once a month.  No monitoring alerts.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP I think you may be on to something. I already have a discover IT and the only thing scorecard has for me is a link for a personal loan. However mine doesn't appear targeted. It looks generic with the normal advertised APR range and CL limit. Good catch!
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my first scorecard I was at 666.  Right at the time I got the email I was at 680.

*edited to add that somehow my quote to answer OP's question failed.

Message 9 of 16
python0704
New Contributor

If you want to see a full credi report Ex provides it for free now, no score and monthly refresh however. Combine these two.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.