cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card Credit line question?

tag
bickhouse

Discover Card Credit line question?

I recently got my first discover card, with only a $500 credit limit, but it also says I have a Cash Advance Credit limit of $300. After some reaserching, I found out that the cash advance credit limit is when you can use your credit card at the atm, but at a higer interest rate (Most People I saw stayed away from it like the plauge.) My question is are the lines sepearate? So (In theory) do I really have $800, 500 on my normal credit line plus $300 where I can get "Cash" or, if I did happen to take out cash at the atm with the card would it go out of my credit limit and my cash advance limit?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
nick125
Valued Member

Re: Discover Card Credit line question?

The Cash Advance line is a portion of your credit line, so a cash advance will "decrease" both your available credit and your cash advance line. 

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 2 of 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

No sorry of your $500 limit $300 can be used to get cash.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

I believe the limits are combined, so you don't really have $800.

Cash advances look bad, and there's an immediate fee of around 3-5%.  The interest rate is also very high, but the interest doesn't amount to much if you pay the balance back in a few days.

Discover has a "cash over" feature where you can get an amount like $40 or $60 at the supermarket, and have it treated like a purchase.

Message 4 of 5
bickhouse

Thats what I figured, didn't plan to use it anyways but figured it would be a good thing to be aware of! 

Cheers!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.