Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card News, Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card News, Need Advice

I've been using secured credit cards to build my credit up since March. I had a couple with $200 dollar deposits that I used only for credit building. Over the summer, Capital One offered my a $1,000 credit card (which I accepted) and I was advised to close the secure card by the folks here at the forum.

I was just told via email by Discover that due to my good spending habits, they're returning my $200 deposit! So my question is, should I apply for a Discover Credit Card and close the secured one, or just ask Discover for a credit line increase. on this one I have. I don't want it still showing as just a secured card on my report, as I want the credit for having been bumped up. What should I do in that regard?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Card News, Need Advice

If Discover returned your deposit then the card is no longer a secured card
Message 2 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Your discover is no longer secured... however....

Id wait a few days to make sure the status has fully updated (not long)... 

Do you have the CLI button avalible on Discovers web portal?

You can always try hitting it... =)  Its a SP

(if your close to your statement date.. id even consider waiting for the statement to generate.... might get an auto cli)....

(and if you do get an auto-cli, run, do not walk and click the CLI button .. usually theres some more to be had)

Im pretty sure they did a SP to graduate your card... 

-J

Message 3 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Keep the card open as it's now a regular Discover!!!

Hop on chat and ask about a CLI on the existing card and see what they say.  It will grow if you keep using/paying it each month.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds great. I will for sure look into the credit line increase in about a week or so. The credit report was showing it as a secured card. Will that automatically update now on my next report and move that into the regular credit category? Or do I need to do anything on my end to get that updated?

Message 5 of 8
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That sounds great. I will for sure look into the credit line increase in about a week or so. The credit report was showing it as a secured card. Will that automatically update now on my next report and move that into the regular credit category? Or do I need to do anything on my end to get that updated?

It will update on its own presumably when the next statement cuts. Stay with that card and try for a CLI.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just took a look at my account and it looks as if it's been changed over to a "Discover it chrome Card" (which in my research looks like it's also called a "Discover it chrome for Students"). Should I also ask them to do a possible product chagne into a better card?

Message 7 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Look at the reward structure and decide if the chrome or regular IT suits your spending better
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.