Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card Owners - Help?

tag
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Discover Card Owners - Help?

Hello, I got a new Secured Discover in early February.

I made some charges and paid 40% of the balance off on March 2nd. I then on March 7th paid off the remaining 60% balance.

I figured since the card is secured and new that there would be initial holds on my payments. It is now 8 days after I made the payment and it hasn't given me credit.. still says I only have $18 available of my $500 initial limit. I spoke to a rep who said there could be holds initially.

My question is... should I expect there to be lengthy 8+ day holds everytime I make a payment to this secured card or will they loosen-up once they see several payments go through? Are there any limits to how many payments I can make a month?

With Capital One, If I make a $2500 payment at 6pm, it posts to my account that evening late and the credit is available shortly after midnight for me. I'm just trying to understand Discover, because when I make a payment at 6pm, it doesnt come off my balance until end of day the following day.. but shows credit for it the day I make it.

Any help from the Discover knowledgeable would be appreciated. I want to use this card alot.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Card Owners - Help?

@dallasareaguy wrote:

Hello, I got a new Secured Discover in early February.

I made some charges and paid 40% of the balance off on March 2nd. I then on March 7th paid off the remaining 60% balance.

I figured since the card is secured and new that there would be initial holds on my payments. It is now 8 days after I made the payment and it hasn't given me credit.. still says I only have $18 available of my $500 initial limit. I spoke to a rep who said there could be holds initially.

My question is... should I expect there to be lengthy 8+ day holds everytime I make a payment to this secured card or will they loosen-up once they see several payments go through? Are there any limits to how many payments I can make a month?

With Capital One, If I make a $2500 payment at 6pm, it posts to my account that evening late and the credit is available shortly after midnight for me. I'm just trying to understand Discover, because when I make a payment at 6pm, it doesnt come off my balance until end of day the following day.. but shows credit for it the day I make it.

Any help from the Discover knowledgeable would be appreciated. I want to use this card alot.

Check your bank to make sure it has cleared your account and if it has give Discover a call and they will call your bank while you're on the phone with them. Once all done and said they will release the hold immediately. After a few payments there won't be any holds on your account, they just need to get used to your payment pattern. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 16
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Discover is usually slow on taking payments from me, but if you linked a new bank account that could cause some delays on them withdrawing the funds, and I agree verify with your bank on when they withdrew the funds.
Message 3 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

As a new card holder some banks DO hold the 1st payment (slow to process) but you won't have that problem in the future 

So no don't expect a 8 day hold in the future 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 16
jbsea
Established Contributor

You could also do bill pay from your bank.  I would think that they would reliease it right away as soon as they receive it.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 5 of 16
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Thanks all. I checked and it was withdrawn within 12 hours of me making the payment each time.. so they got the funds very quickly. The 8 day hold has just been kind of nuts.. not used to that ;-)

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIF

I've had Discover (not secured) since October and they are SLOW...the slowest company I deal with,

even w/ posting charges from vendors.

When I charge bubble gum on a Cap1 cards it alerts in before you can blow a bubble

With I shipped a UPS package on Monday expected delivery on Friday USAA 'alerted' me of the charge on this morning

(the package can ship from Ca. to Iowa in 5 days, takes USAA 4 days to alert Smiley Happy)

The one thing I'll give Cap-1 is they post and alert pretty quick...can't say the same for Disco (sometimes comically slow)

In fairness 8 days is a lot and I'd imagine that would change but if you had said half that time I'd say that's about normal.

Same thing with their statement posting, it can be several days after the fact, where as in today's world most of this guys are really fast

except for Disco...that's the way it's been for my 1st 6 statements YMMV

Message 7 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I don't know if I have ever had this issue with Discover, but I used to run into this all the time with CapOne.  They used to hold my credit for a long time.  After a few months of payments they stopped doing it, so I imagine that Discover will basically do the same thing.  I think you will find Discover a bit easier to deal with in the future.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbsea wrote:

You could also do bill pay from your bank.  I would think that they would reliease it right away as soon as they receive it.

Target used to do this when I first got my redcard.  Irritatingly they even held a CASH payment for 5 days.  When I say cash, i mean cash, not a payment from a debit card.  I walked up to the clerk, and handed over physical bills.

Some banks have hard coded into their systems to hold payments.  The idea is to catch fraudsters, but the backend systems are seriously old (think AS400 old), and not many people know how to make changes to old mainframes.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me they're usually slow if I do it on a weekend. If I pay on a weekend it won't post until Monday. If I do it during a weekday it ranges from next day to a few days.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.