Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card....Why NOW!

tag
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Card....Why NOW!

I love my Discover More card too! And it's pretty (pink) so I love pulling it out and showing it off. Online website is easy to use, customer service is great.
Message 31 of 38
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Mojavemoon,
    I love my Discover card :-).
The 5% cash back on up $20 or so per quarter is not a max. It is the max you can get at 5%, you still earn .25/.5/1% on all other purchases. You also continue to earn the 5%-20% back on shopdiscover. 
Cheers 

@MojaveMoon wrote:
The only thing holding me back from applying for the Discover More card is the low (in my opinion) maximum cash back limit. Sometimes the maximum limit is $ 20 per quarter (5% cash back on up to $ 400) while at other times the limit is $ 40 per quarter (5% cash back on up to $ 800).

Also, another feature/limitation (depending on your point of view) is that the categories for which you can earn 5% cash back change each quarter: (link)

After you've reached your $ 80 or $ 160 maximum cash back for the year, then what you do with the card ? Sockdrawer it until next year ?

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 32 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had any experience with their purchase protection policy?  I am relatively new to Discover and used the card over xmas to purchase a laptop from BestBuy.  The computer began giving us problems the first week and I went back to BestBuy and they refused to stand behind their product.  I purchased this on Black Friday, so they refused to exchange a disfunctional product.  I have had a similiar experience with Amex and they took care of it immediately.  I did call Discover and they are doing an investigation, but it has taken longer than I expected.
Message 33 of 38
rom828
Established Contributor

@cobaltnv wrote:

Mojavemoon,
    I love my Discover card :-).
The 5% cash back on up $20 or so per quarter is not a max. It is the max you can get at 5%, you still earn .25/.5/1% on all other purchases. You also continue to earn the 5%-20% back on shopdiscover. 
Cheers 

Righto!  And I don't even think the $20 is something to scoff at.....especially when you can cash it in for a gift card with a value of $25!   And in this day and time, I don't think getting a penny back for every dollar I spend is a bad thing (although for new Discoverites, be aware that you have to pass the $3K threshold to get full 1%).

And I really love the shopdiscover.....just got back $9.95 in rewards  from an Old Navy purchase and $25 from a flower purchase (20%!!).  Though I'm stockpiling most of my rewards  for gift cards, they can also be applied to your bill, so either way you're getting extra discount on your on-line purchases.

I think when you combines the quarterly 5% cash back, the 1%  all-the-time cash back and the shopdiscover cash back, you can really rack up some savings! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by rom828 on 02-03-2009 11:49 AM
FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 34 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

was looking for one more card, since don't have a discover and don't get any offers (opt out)

i applied online for Discover More, instant approval 6k limit.

looking forward to a good relationship with them...

Message 35 of 38
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

@MojaveMoon wrote:
The only thing holding me back from applying for the Discover More card is the low (in my opinion) maximum cash back limit. Sometimes the maximum limit is $ 20 per quarter (5% cash back on up to $ 400) while at other times the limit is $ 40 per quarter (5% cash back on up to $ 800).

Also, another feature/limitation (depending on your point of view) is that the categories for which you can earn 5% cash back change each quarter: (link)

After you've reached your $ 80 or $ 160 maximum cash back for the year, then what you do with the card ? Sockdrawer it until next year ?

For everyday purchases, the cashback rate is tiered:
(link)
* .25% if the purchase is part of your first $1,500 in total annual purchases
* .50% if the purchase is part of your second $1,500 in total annual purchases,
* 1.0% if the purchase is part of your total purchases in excess of $3,000

If a lot of your purchases are online, then I guess you might be able to make use of the "Shop Discover" rewards -- "Get 5% to 20% Cashback Bonus at over 100 retailers": (link)

(link)

When I make a purchase, do I get up to 1% Cashback Bonus in addition to the ShopDiscover offer?

Yes, unless otherwise provided in the offer.

Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 02-02-2009 03:39 PM

If you spend more than 10k per year, then the AMEX Blue Cash will give you better overall returns, with no limits to keep on guessing about.  Look at my returns for the year ended Aug 2008, $633 cash back on around $37k of charges:

Message 36 of 38
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way. I hope I didn't sound like $ 20 per quarter (5% cash back) is beneath me.

I keep mulling over in my mind the best card or best combination of cards for offline purchases. It just seems like for me the tiered offline cash back rate and having to modify my online purchasing to conform to ShopDiscover's list of merchants don't offset the low cap of $ 20 for the 5% cash back rate (for some of those Discover More categories, $ 400 probably represents the amount of one single purchase). At that point, I say to myself, for offline purchases how worthwhile will the card be to me for the remainder of that quarter ? Well, it's not a straight 1% .. I won't even earn 1% until I've spent $ 3,000   Unfortunately for Discover, it seems hard to justify using the Discover Card for cash back for offline everyday purchases once I've used up my $ 20 at 5%; there are a bunch of banks and credit unions that pay at least a straight 1% and all the way up to a straight 2% cash back for everyday purchases.

The ShopDiscover seems tempting, but it's got some strong competition from programs like Citibank cashback bonuscenter, Addison Ave Credit Union's Rainbow Rewards (link), and US Bank's [online] "Shopping Mall" (link)
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 02-07-2009 02:04 AM
Message 37 of 38
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Mark_in_Pasadena wrote:

If you spend more than 10k per year, then the AMEX Blue Cash will give you better overall returns, with no limits to keep on guessing about.  Look at my returns for the year ended Aug 2008, $633 cash back on around $37k of charges:

Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to make and share that summary. I will look into your suggestion.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 02-05-2009 10:05 PM
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.