cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card - Why do so many want this card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Card - Why do so many want this card?

@Anonymous wrote:

A few reasons why I think some people want the card:

I like Discover because they chose to give me a chance when some others didn't.  

That is the real reason.  I got a prequal in the mail and the only cards on my file were au's.

Now it's time for more than a $500 limit. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the only real reason I'd want it is to have all four major card providers once I get MC, Amex and Discover.
Message 22 of 50
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It seems like a common theme here that everyone is carrying Discover or if not they are trying like all bent to get it.  My question is why and what do I not see?  I mean I get the concept of get cards that are applicable to your interests but what does Discover bring that is better than others?  The 1.5x miles is a bit nice but is the popularity here due to the no AF?

I originally got my Discover card for the 5% categories, but I stay for the 5% categories, the awesome customer service, and Discover Deals. They also have some good benefits (many of the ones that AMEX has, such as purchase protection, extended warranty, etc). They've also been pretty good to me in regards to CL. I started at $1000, and I'm up to $2750 after around 1.6 years. I haven't asked for a CLI since mid 2014 either, as I'm currently pretty happy with my CL. But I'll soon be graduating with my Masters, and I'll probably ask for a major CLI after graduating and finding a job. My only minor complaint is my APR. My APR with them is currently 17.24% when most of my other cards are in the 11.99%-14.99% range. But they do negotiate APRs, and I'll work it down to where I want it to be (10.99% or lower).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 23 of 50
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Decent rotating categories card, though I'd probably get more value from having a Freedom if I was interested in trying to get points for travel in tandem with a CSP.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 24 of 50
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

I like the look and feel of the card. Their customer service is also pretty nice. 

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 25 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone's spending habit is different so it depends on that. I never liked Discover card.

Message 26 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gift cards to Starbucks.
Message 27 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Gift cards to Starbucks.

Probably the best reason to get this card.

Message 28 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Gift cards to Starbucks.

Probably the best reason to get this card.

Or, could get really luck and receive a $100 GC like one person here has reported.

Message 29 of 50
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Why want Discover? For all the reasons people here have said. I'm a long time Discover cardholder and am more pleased with their overall value and customer service than any other card (though the Sallie Mae MC is the card I use most often not).

But also because a lot of people want to hold one card from every network (Visa, MC, Amex, Disc.) and unlike all the millions of Visas and MCs, there are only a handful of Discover network cards and most of them come straight from Discover.

Also, as others have noted it's a prime card that gives chances to people who are new to credit.

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.