cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card and the Mall.........HELP!

tag
Bella1980
Established Contributor

Discover Card and the Mall.........HELP!

Discover card has this special going on around the country where you can spend $200 at the stores at the malls and get a $20 gift card back up to 5 giftcards. Which you have to admit is pretty awesome!!

Well, this awesome deal is making me do too much shopping, argh....I have also taken 3 people shopping just to get the cards. Well, I didn't take them shopping, we were at the mall and they were going to pay with their debit cards but we decided I would pay with my discover and they would just pay me back. 

Sound like a bad idea? Well let's just say that:

Person one spent $334 and paid me back $300 with no mention of the $34, even though she has the receipt, she then asked me to not cash the checks after I already had...they cleared on Friday so I am hoping that they don't bounce later on. I am still really mad about the extra $34....should I mention it? She is now living in another state and obviously broke if she asked me to not cash the checks.

Person 2 and 3 deals worked out fine.

I don't think I am going to do that again unless the person has the cash onhand now. Also, I just need to stay away from the mall, haha.

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Card and the Mall.........HELP!

If it were me i would just buy a gift card for your self or to give as a gift at the mall . Did you tell your broke friend that you were getting $20 back maybe they thought you were passing it on since. 10%($20 for each 200) of $334 is 33.40 . 334-33.40= 300.60
Message 2 of 5
Bella1980
Established Contributor

Lol, actually the $334 was after the 10% discount that I gave her for me getting the giftcard. She actually spent more money than that!

We calculated 10% off the total in the receipt and I made sure that she got the receipt so she would know what to pay me back...

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Darlin' please don't EVER do that again UNLESS you know that the person in question is sterling-to-the-bone-scrupulous!!!

My DH and one of his co-workers (respectfully called "the other wife" 'cause the poor man takes almost as much care of DH as I do on travel) often swap lunches -- one pays one time they eat out and the other pays the time after, and so on. BUT, they've worked together for 8 years and been close friends for 6. Plus, both of them are so durn cheap, to them, a $10 meal is expensive.

As for the friend in question, you might be out the $34, but you still have the $20 gift card. Plus the gift cards from the other friends. As for the rubbery check, if it bounces, let her know nicely ... and if she doesn't seem to give a doody, notify her officially, in writing, CMRRR of the check's rubber status and wait the prescribed number of days for your state's bounced check laws, letting her know that you will have no other choice but to turn it over to your local State's Atty's Office as a bad check. If you don't hear from her, turn it over to the courts. The courts WILL get your money (plus punitive damages where allowed).

I hate to be so ugly about it, but by borrowing the money from you when she couldn't pay it back, she's not being pretty either. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if only collecting on bad checks was that easy!!!

I had bad checks and because the person lived in different state and because the person was paying me back for stuff I bought on my credit, etc. it was not legal anymore, it was small claims!!!

COURTS SUCK I think, they work in the favor of the guilty, you are the one that has to prove otherwise, I think they should have to prove why they don't owe it!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.