cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card referral fee - possible to get it without clicking the link?

tag
brianjb
Contributor

Discover Card referral fee - possible to get it without clicking the link?

I applied for a Discover card and was approved.  The next day, my wife applied and was also approved.

Now I am logging into the account, and I see something that says you get $50 for referring someone. I called the customer service number asking them if they would be able to give my wife and I the $50.  I was told no, because I needed to do it through the link.

Has anyone had success getting this added after the fact?

Any advice on what I should do?

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LittleMsLaur

Re: Discover Card referral fee - possible to get it without clicking the link?

I tried to request the same thing, as I apped shortly after my boyfriend got his and then he mentioned he could've received a referral bonus. They told me the same thing as you, so it sounds like that's their story and they're sticking to it.

FICO: 772 (11/2013) TU:760 (11/2013)

AMEX BCE: 10k
Kohl's Charge: 2k
Chase Freedom: 3k
Discover IT: 7.5k
VS Angel Card: 1k
Message 2 of 8
newUser0
Established Contributor

AFAIK You can't get the bonus like this. You can always share the link with your other friends.

I think, I posted my referral link long time in some public Facebook page. I really don't know who all clicked it, but I got a good bonus from them.

Message 3 of 8
megaman1
Regular Contributor

What's the best way to get people to see the discover referral link on Facebook? Thanks.
Message 4 of 8
newUser0
Established Contributor

One way is to post this on the Facebook page of the student groups in college. In that way, there will be lot of new students joining the university and might take a hit on your link.

Message 5 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

Rather than the referral bonus, the $150 bonus after $750 spend that is currently available is a much better deal.

Anyhow, if you / someone else applied without clicking those links, then you are not going to get the bonus. Discover will not add it onto your account.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 8
brianjb
Contributor

thanks for all of the info.  It looks like I won't get it

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.