Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card

I am considering applying for either a Discover or American Express Card. Does anyone know what your scores need to be for approval, and if a public record over 7 years ago will prevent approval? I don't want any unnessary inquiries.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Card

@Anonymous wrote:

I am considering applying for either a Discover or American Express Card. Does anyone know what your scores need to be for approval, and if a public record over 7 years ago will prevent approval? I don't want any unnessary inquiries.

Thanks.

Discover has a pre-approval on their web-site... You can try that 1st and see what happens. It is only a soft pull. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the application on their webiste is only a soft pull? It looks like a hard pull to me.

Message 3 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So the application on their webiste is only a soft pull? It looks like a hard pull to me.

I didn't say application, i said they have a pre-approval on their site which states it will not affect your credit.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No pre-approved offers for me. I guess I'll wait to apply until my score goes up some more. I've noticed that most of the people who have this card or the AMEX card have higher EQ and Tu scores than I do. I'll wait until EQ and TU update their files with my corrected creditor information, which will remove a derogatory report concerning a 180+ day late payment (the account was in deferment but incorrectly reported as being late), and after I see what the score goes up to I'll decide on it then.

Thanks for the info.

Message 5 of 11
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No pre-approved offers for me. I guess I'll wait to apply until my score goes up some more. I've noticed that most of the people who have this card or the AMEX card have higher EQ and Tu scores than I do. I'll wait until EQ and TU update their files with my corrected creditor information, which will remove a derogatory report concerning a 180+ day late payment (the account was in deferment but incorrectly reported as being late), and after I see what the score goes up to I'll decide on it then.

Thanks for the info.

What are your current scores and where did you get them?  What kind of public record?

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
Smug
Established Contributor

I was ot Pre approved for anything but apped and got my zync.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 7 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

With AMEX I didnt have any offers. i applied and got an instant approval for a Zync . Goes to tell you that these pre-approval don't always work.

Message 8 of 11
Smug
Established Contributor

Also with discover...
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 9 of 11
unlucky_hove
Regular Contributor

I recently got approved for a Discover More with a satisfied judgement showing, and a 6 year old CO. I  didnt get a Pre-approval from the site either, i just bit the bullet (a few times Smiley Very Happy). EQ 668, TU 667

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.